3 gallon or 5 gallon mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomjay

Reaction score
I've done a couple extract brews, but am thinking of going to partial mash recipes. I'm looking at getting a mash tun, but was wondering if I should go with a 3 gallon or 5 gallon converted cooler. The only thing I've heard is that a 5 gallon mash tun is more difficult to regulate the proper temps. Suggestions.....!

Ask yourself whether you're going to do partial mashes and stay at that, or whether you're going to do that for a while and eventually transition to all grain.

If you're not 100% sure you want to stick with PM, I would not invest any more than you must in equipment that won't serve your needs when you do AG brews. That rules out the 3 gal cooler, and the 5 gal is iffy. As the others said above, get at least a 10 gal. The fancy round ones are expensive, but you can find picnic-style coolers that will do the job for less than $50.

If you don't want to go with the big tun now, though, you can get by quite fine doing BIAB-style PM brews, using your kettle for a tun. It's not as great for temp control (I lose about 4 degrees during an hour-long mash), so you won't be able to do precise mashing. That's not a "real" problem, though---if you're doing PM, you don't have all that much control over fermentability because of the large amount of extract. My kettle is stable enough that I can choose between about 3 levels of fermentability by putting the temperature swing in the high, middle, or low mash temp ranges. It's not perfect, but for PM I think it's better than spending $$ on a tun that you risk obsoleting in short order.

I have a 5 and a 10 gallon round cooler. I use the 5 gallon cooler for three gallon batches, and the 10 gallon for five gallon batches. I also batch sparge.

Latest posts

Back