Bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
I have a brown ale that been in the keg for a few weeks. It turned out great. My kegs almost empty and it has had a bitter taste for the last few days. Does anyone have input?

If it's been great until the end of the keg, then it's got to be something going on with the lines/tap. I mean, the keg has been sitting for a long time, so yeast would not be an issue. But if most of the keg is gone, and the beer has an harshness now, I'd think that some of the flavors have melded (allowing any off-flavors to be more appearant) or the kegging gear itself is to blame.

Did this just start, as the keg cleared up?

It just started a couple of days ago. I Havnt had issues with other batches. Maybe I allowed too much trub into my keg?

It just started a couple of days ago. I Havnt had issues with other batches. Maybe I allowed too much trub into my keg?

No. That can't be it. The trub settles, and in a cold environment, autolysis isn't a concernt.

I just wonder if aging isn't a good thing for this particular beer?

If not yeast maybe oxidation ? What sitting for too long has to do with yeast being eliminated from equation ?
To OP if this never happened to other batches maybe it's just ur line. How long did u have this beer in a keg for ?

The last few pints of a keg can be bad. Some of my kegs have exhibited this, some haven't. I have no good explanation as to why some would and some wouldn't.

Oxidation shouldn't be coming into effect since you've had it on CO2 the whole time.

You could be getting yeast/trub/other settlers getting kicked up, but with a keg that's been sitting you'd need to jostle it to do that.

I could see it being a beer that doesn't age well, but in my experience you don't see a sudden degredation in flavor like you're describing. This is an interesting problem you've got.

I did jostle it around a bit when I was checking to see how much was in it. I hope that's the explanation. Thank y'all for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back