stepping up from Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crestfallinman

Reaction score
so i currently have my first Mr. Beer fermenting, and upon talking to a guy i work with (oddly a long time brewer) he suggested changing one aspect of brewing each brew until i get to the point where im really brewing

does anyone have hints or suggestions to what brews i should try with each new batch? i wanna work up to real brewing before i jump fully in and upgrade to the good stuff and well i have no idea where to go from here

any help is appreciated!

I did the same thing as you. Got the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, made both batches, and was carpooling with a guy that brewed. I went from 1 fermenter to two, moved to using DME (dry malt extract), pitching hops, using actual bottles, and finally making my own mash tun.

Now I want to get away from those itty bitty kegs. All in due time though. Good luck!:)

most kits from brew shops are designed for 5 gallons, and are based on unhopped extracts. mr beer is 2 gallons and used hopped extracts. you could change either of those variables, or both to start.

Search the recipe section here and find ones you like, and you on your way. Lot of idea's there, also check the sticky at the top "Mr. Beer" . Have fun and welcome to HBT.Cheers:)

Many people start with extract brewing, and then decide they want to brew using all grains and then have to obtain new equipment. If you want to start moving towards this the main thing you are going to want to avoid repurchasing is your boil kettle. I strongly recommend buying a 10 gallon kettle(the nicest one you can afford) and fitting it with a drain valve and thermometer or buying one with those installed. This kettle will serve you well for extract brewing, and will take you to into all-grain brewing with the simple and inexpensive upgrade of a cooler-style mash tun. You'll also need to buy a propane stand burner. Once you buy that big nice kettle though everything else will fall into place. Welcome to the most addictive hobby ever.

well it definitely looks like i came to the right place! so much good information, and i just did my first and im looking into my second, i didnt think it would be this addicting its overwhelming how much i have to learn! and i cant wait to learn it haha i think when i go to upgrade im still going to keep it to about 2.5 gal, i like variety moreso than quanity and it will be easy to cut recipes in half rather than doing the math for the 2 gallon "keg"

and our of curiosity what is a mash tun?

Well,. ,you fell off the wagon now. So to speak:) a mash tun is used in all grain brewing. The web site "john palmer how to brew "is a must read for the new brewers. This will start you through the brewing process in both extract & all grain; every thing you need to learn. You will be back with lots of questions or just looking around for answers, if you think of it, it has probably been asked before. JUst ask Cheers:D

To just answer your question though, "mashing" is the controlled process of steeping your grains in hot water during which enzymes in the malted grain convert starch into sugar. A mash tun, or MT as it is commonly seen here, is the vessel in which this takes place. It usually involves either a heated and/or insulated vessel which has some kind of mechanism to allow the wort to drain out leaving the spent grain behind.

Whenever anyone mentions a big pot, I can't help but butt in with "keggle, keggle, keggle" really it's a 15.5 gallon stainless steel pot that costs $40 (vs. $300) Just get to know a good local welder and spend a few bucks on bargainfittings.com - it's worth the trouble to find a legal one, when it's finished you'll be as happy as a clam

joeybeer said:
Whenever anyone mentions a big pot, I can't help but butt in with "keggle, keggle, keggle" really it's a 15.5 gallon stainless steel pot that costs $40 (vs. $300) Just get to know a good local welder and spend a few bucks on bargainfittings.com - it's worth the trouble to find a legal one, when it's finished you'll be as happy as a clam

I've been on the lookout for a SS keg for quite awhile... nothings turned up yet. Aluminum ones are a dime a dozen but steel brings a nice price.

I've been on the lookout for a SS keg for quite awhile... nothings turned up yet. Aluminum ones are a dime a dozen but steel brings a nice price.

I have found the opposite to be true around here. The outside finish may look like aluminum, but it is probably stainless. I assumed the same thing until I was told "no we have all stainless. Aluminum? not for years now". You may be pleasantly suprised. Cheers;)

well it definitely looks like i came to the right place! so much good information, and i just did my first and im looking into my second, i didnt think it would be this addicting its overwhelming how much i have to learn! and i cant wait to learn it haha i think when i go to upgrade im still going to keep it to about 2.5 gal, i like variety moreso than quanity and it will be easy to cut recipes in half rather than doing the math for the 2 gallon "keg"

and our of curiosity what is a mash tun?

I'll agree with a previous poster and say to get equipment that is bigger than what you need now. First reason is that you can go to bigger batches in the future without having to buy all new equipment. Second reason is that their are equipment kits readily available for doing 5 gallon batches and this equipment will work fine for smaller batches too and you don't have to go searching for the basic equipment. Most often buying a complete kit is cheaper than trying to buy piece by piece.

Back