Beer/CO2 Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordRenn

Reaction score
I have most of the parts to make a kegerator out of my old refridgerator, but I need tubing. I don't want to make myself sick or ruin the flavor of my beer with inappropriate lines. Is it necessary to use "food grade" lines for my keg, or will generic "Home Depot" clear lines do? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

how many taps are you running. i just ordered a 100' spool but i'm running 6 taps, so i am using 60' right away. i would suggest buying a bunch. u'll have it on hand whenever you need it.

I would just use the appropriate lines. they are cheap and more importantly can withstand the pressures at which CO2 and beer are under.

Home Depot does sell beverage tubing. I use it and have no issues right now. It's not as flexible as some of the higher end tubing, but it works.

Micromatic lines... THICK, and still flexible cold. You won't regret it!

Everyone has their own personal preference. I've been using 3/16" thick beverage tubing for a while now and have gotten fed up with residual flavors and plastic taste in my beer. Did some googling and found out that vinyl (and PVC) leach out plasticizers, bisphenol-A, and some other great things for the human body. So I did more googling and have just upgraded my lines to 1/4" LLDPE (Linear Low Density Polyethylene) tubing (25' to keep my system balanced).

I haven't run beer through it yet so I'm not 100% positive on the results, but if it works, it will be healthier/safer than vinyl. Vinyl will work, I just prefer to go with ULTIMATE food grade/safe as possible.

Back