Small Batch Chocolate Coffe Stout help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Batch Size: 1.00 gal
Boil Size: 1.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 83.33 %
0.20 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) 8.33 %
0.20 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 8.33 %
0.20 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) 27.5 IBU
0.20 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] (5 min) 5.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Add 1/4 cup Bakers Chocolate to secondary when racking
Add Cold brewed coffee to secondary when racking

Just an idea, wanting to use some leftover hops and ingredients.. don't really know what i am doing..

any help would be cool..

cool.. just the can of Hersey's cocoa powder?

what are we thinking an amount for the volume of coffee to add for 1 gallon?

Id like to make this but am not ready for all grain brewing. Can someone convert it to a malt extract recipe?

Also, can you provide the quantity of cold brewed coffee used in the secondary?

I once added cold brew coffee concentrate to a porter at secondary - 1 quart to 13.5 gallons of beer. I believe the recommended dilution ratio was 2 parts water to 1 part concentrate. So the quart would have yielded 12 cups of coffee. Some people said they could taste it, others not. No one said it was too much. The actual coffee product when mixed to spec was disappointing, compared to other cold brews I've had.

Cocoa nibs may be a sound alternative to cocoa powder. I did my first breakfast stout several months ago and soaked several ounces of cocoa nibs in vodka (for 4 days or so) before adding them to the fermenter for about a week. There was noticeable chocolate flavor, but certainly not overpowering. The coffee I cold-brewed in a mason jar. I made a very strong concentrate and never diluted it, but one can add the coffee to taste.

Back