Austin Homebrew Supply and slow service (Not normally the case)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwest450

Reaction score
How long does it take to bag 14lbs of grain, and throw 4 packs of dry yeast, and a better bottle in a box? Apparently close to a week. I placed order last Wednesday morning, card was charged on Thursday, still no order. I called yesterday and the guy said it was "still processing", mabey it will ship by Monday or Tuesday. I know AHS is a good place and everybody (including me) loves them, but I NEED my stuff. Im on a tight brewing schedule and now it's it's jacked up.
Along with kudos and props, everyone needs a good spanking now and then.

Yeah, i ordered late Tuesday last week and emailed them saturday to check to make sure nothing was out of stock or anything. But got a response today saying that it should be shipped tonight or tomorrow morning.

They said they have been getting so many orders in lately that they cannot get them shipped next day anymore.

If you went with the Brew saver shipping, I believe they process them in the order they were received, so if there is a backlog, it will take longer until your order is shipped. I've always used this, but my orders have always shipped within a couple days after I ordered.

I always order during the sales, so I always expect a few days lag time. My last order was placed around 3 am Saturday...it shipped Monday PM, and was here Wednesday. I can't ***** about that.

Well ****. Less than an hour ago I ordered a second fermenter so I could have a brew day this weekend. From what it sounds like it will be the next weekend. Of course, by then my first fermenter will be empty. I guess i'd end up getting two eventually, regardless.

If you went with the Brew saver shipping, I believe they process them in the order they were received, so if there is a backlog, it will take longer until your order is shipped. I've always used this, but my orders have always shipped within a couple days after I ordered.

This is most likely the case. I still order quite a bit of stuff from AHS, but I do have another source that's closer that can get me items the next day rather than 3 days ahead of time.

Most of the orders I've placed with AHS get shipped within 2 days, then 3 days to get to me. Considering how far away from me they are I think that's pretty good.

Most of the orders I've placed with AHS get shipped within 2 days, then 3 days to get to me. Considering how far away from me they are I think that's pretty good.

Im close enough that it only takes two day's for shipping. I was hoping the order could go out within 3 day's, I guess not.

Well ****. Less than an hour ago I ordered a second fermenter so I could have a brew day this weekend. From what it sounds like it will be the next weekend. Of course, by then my first fermenter will be empty. I guess i'd end up getting two eventually, regardless.

See if they can catch your order....you might be able to catch it and add some ingredients for the next batch...flat rate shipping....Make for a heck of a deal.

See if they can catch your order....you might be able to catch it and add some ingredients for the next batch...flat rate shipping....Make for a heck of a deal.

There's also 2 cases of 22oz bottles and an Oatmeal Stout kit in the order. I have a Double Chocolate Stout I was wanting to brew with a friend this Saturday.

:mug:

Ordered Friday afternoon and as of 1 minute ago it was still being processed. I hope they wait till the last minute to box that yeast up.......

They had a free shipping discount two weeks,ago so a lot of us ordered then, creating a backlog (mine took a day longer than usual to get to me). AHS has great customer service, and I really urge you not to hold this against them. There's no one better at what they do, but I also totally understand your frustration that your stuff isn't to you yet.

They had a free shipping discount two weeks,ago so a lot of us ordered then, creating a backlog (mine took a day longer than usual to get to me). AHS has great customer service, and I really urge you not to hold this against them. There's no one better at what they do, but I also totally understand your frustration that your stuff isn't to you yet.

So it's your fault.;)
Yeah im frustrated, but just venting, i'll survive.

I orderded my kit monday morning ~8:00 am cst used the 6.95 ship method.Checked the website thursday said it had not shipped yet sent out an e-mail and got a reply within an hour(which was nice) saying it would ship that evening. Got to Oklahoma City Friday night tried to get it from UPS that night noway it was still on the truck. Got it Monday afternoon. I work 12 days on 2 days off so my brewing time is limited. So now it will be two weeks before I can brew. Not a huge deal but its aggravating.

I have ordered from AHS a couple times and they shipped pretty quick, but my last order was from more beer( heard of them on the Jamil show) and they shipped next day, plus they have good deals on hops 2 oz cascades 3.50 thats half most places.

Sorry for the delay. We are receiving a huge number of orders. We had one person quit so we are short handed. A new person started today to help fill the gap. I am going to hire another shortly. We processed 100 orders today. Our flat rate shipping is so popular now that it takes 2-3 days to ship all of the flat rate shipping orders. We process the flat rate orders in the order we receive them. If you pay the regular UPS shipping charge your order goes to the front of the pile.

Our website says that if you pick the $6.99 flat rate shipping it can take 2-3 days to ship. I can afford to only charge $6.99 (the average shipping charge that we pay is $15.00 per order) if we have less employees shipping which means the orders will take 2-3 days. In order to ship everything out in 1 day I would have to hire 3 extra people and I don't know if I can keep the $6.99 charge if I do that.

Should I raise the flat rate to $7.99 to match Northern Brewer? If I do this I can hire extra people to make the orders go out faster. That is the simple economics of it. Do you want it cheaper or faster? Let me know what you think.

Forrest

Sorry for the delay. We are receiving a huge number of orders. We had one person quit so we are short handed. A new person started today to help fill the gap. I am going to hire another shortly. We processed 100 orders today. Our flat rate shipping is so popular now that it takes 2-3 days to ship all of the flat rate shipping orders. We process the flat rate orders in the order we receive them. If you pay the regular UPS shipping charge your order goes to the front of the pile.

Our website says that if you pick the $6.99 flat rate shipping it can take 2-3 days to ship. I can afford to only charge $6.99 (the average shipping charge that we pay is $15.00 per order) if we have less employees shipping which means the orders will take 2-3 days. In order to ship everything out in 1 day I would have to hire 3 extra people and I don't know if I can keep the $6.99 charge if I do that.

Should I raise the flat rate to $7.99 to match Northern Brewer? If I do this I can hire extra people to make the orders go out faster. That is the simple economics of it. Do you want it cheaper or faster? Let me know what you think.

Forrest

Keep doing what you're doing. Your service is great, and when I order with flat rate shipping, I don't expect an instant shipping. Northern Brewer charges more for heavier items like bottles and such. I've saved a lot of money ordering bottles, and carboys through you in the past. If I have the option to order through you I will because it saves me money, and I usually never order at the last minute. And if I did, I'd pay for express shipping. I have no complaints, and I'm sure most people on this board feel the same(I wish my LBHS was like you :)

Keep doing what you're doing. Your service is great, and when I order with flat rate shipping, I don't expect an instant shipping. Northern Brewer charges more for heavier items like bottles and such. I've saved a lot of money ordering bottles, and carboys through you in the past. If I have the option to order through you I will because it saves me money, and I usually never order at the last minute. And if I did, I'd pay for express shipping. I have no complaints, and I'm sure most people on this board feel the same(I wish my LBHS was like you :)

Shameless +1 post

Shameless +1 post

I don't understand if this is meant in a bad way or not. I live in Utah and my local brew store is a 50 min drive away and sucks. AHS saves me both gas and time, and has had great customer service.

Austin Homebrew Supply does a great service for us homebrewers. They maintain FRESH inventory by getting a lot of orders. And they offer great flat rate shipping. I can wait 2-3 days for an order to ship, if I wanted it faster I would expect to pay for it.

:ban::ban:

I think most people are happy with the way thta you have it setup now, Forrest. I plan my brews a couple weeks ahead of time so that if I need to order something I'll get it in plenty of time.

I placed my order on Saturday, August 2, it is getting here today (August 12) that's 10 days. I don't mind the wait if I am expecting it. Forrest, is there any way you can have a "Cheap shipping delay meter" on the site? It said 2-3 days, and my order shipped in 4 (not counting the weekend), which is ok. I was hoping by ordering on a Saturday that it would ship Monday so that the package would not sit over the weekend (Good thing I didn't order any liquid yeast). Also, UPS took one additional day than their calendar said.

AHS still has all of my business, I'll wait a week to save money, in this case $37.00 on shipping.

P.S. My order is 4 boxes and 65lbs. I can't wait until I get it this afternoon!

Keep doing the good work you're doing Forrest! Northern Brewer is closer to me and shipping would be faster, but I'm still ordering from you because of your great customer service! :mug:

I am surprised to hear that so many people get their boxers in a bunch when shipping is not immediate. Back in the day(80's) we had to scour the countryside just to find some stale hops in someones basement mini-homebrew stores. And we were happy to find it. Today it is so easy. Your shipments will come, patience.

Yeah I just missed the free shipping because my internet went down Sunday...yippee.

I'm with the others here Forrest. Your staff has been great about answering any questions I had, and the selection you offer is pretty incredible. If I needed the stuff immediately, I could pay for faster shipping, but even at the flat rate, I get my ingredients pretty darn quickly. The fact that you're on here apologizing to the OP for the delay is pretty cool, too.

I am surprised to hear that so many people get their boxers in a bunch when shipping is not immediate. Back in the day(80's) we had to scour the countryside just to find some stale hops in someones basement mini-homebrew stores. And we were happy to find it. Today it is so easy. Your shipments will come, patience.

Oooh, tell us stories about the 80's!;)

I place my orderson Thursday or Friday. It will usually come in Wendesday, Thursday, or Friday that next week. That leaves me with enough time to make a starter and brew up over the weekend. Only once did my order not get here when expected, and that was my fault because I forgot it was a holiday weekend. You can't beat $6.99 shipping when your order is 50+ pounds.

I am surprised to hear that so many people get their boxers in a bunch when shipping is not immediate. <snip!>

I don't know about others, but my one order just happened to equal 4 boxes.

Yeah I just missed the free shipping because my internet went down Sunday...yippee.

Yea, I missed the free shipping because I just joined and didn't get the coupon code, oh well, I'm out 7$.

It's just the way of the internet. People want things cheaper, better, and faster all at the same time. Some vendors try to be all three and go out of business. If you want it faster, pay the actual shipping or simply plan your brew sessions further in advance.

Wait, there was a free shipping promo? How does one find out about these things from AHS?

In order to ship everything out in 1 day I would have to hire 3 extra people and I don't know if I can keep the $6.99 charge if I do that.

Forrest

2 to 3 day's is acceptable to ship an order out, 5 to 7 isn't. I would be willing to pay an extra dollar to speed up shipping. But if you can ship within a 2 to 3 day window, the existing rate is fine.

It's just the way of the internet. People want things cheaper, better, and faster all at the same time. Some vendors try to be all three and go out of business. If you want it faster, pay the actual shipping or simply plan your brew sessions further in advance.

No, the discussion isn't about getting it faster, it's about taking two or more times longer than normal to receive orders.

Wait, there was a free shipping promo? How does one find out about these things from AHS?

1. IF you order from them, Indicate that you are a HBT member, and that you want to be on the e-mailing list.

2. Check the Vendor Forum. Forrest has done a good job of posting sale events there.

3. Stop by Chat once in a while....We talk about it there.

I placed my first order with AHS on Monday AM. By 2:30PM Monday, I rec'd an email that it was complete and awaiting UPS pickup. This morning, I rec'd an email from UPS that I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't beat that for $6.99!

I placed my first order with AHS on Monday AM. By 2:30PM Monday, I rec'd an email that it was complete and awaiting UPS pickup. This morning, I rec'd an email from UPS that I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't beat that for $6.99!

How is that possible when my order still hasn't been processed since last Wednesday??

I'm in Wisconsin - takes about 1 week total - normally 2 days shipping 5 days to fill an order.

What I HATE are those FREAKING packing peanuts!! I would pay extra to NOT have those!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back