removing keg center tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys: My keg cutter and welder is ready for the keg. He asked that I remove the center ring and tube and clean the keg out. I got only 1 ring off broke the tip of a screwdriver and failed on both tubes. There has to be a trick. What is it?? He said to line up the notches but I can't get the center tube to turn at all. I assume it turns to the left. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

Well finally got to watch it. Nicely done Bobby, as usual. This is exactly what I was doing, got the ring out but the rest didn't want to budge. I started with a screwdriver and tapped it with a hammer. I finally gave up after progressing to a cement chisel and 2 lb maul. I was tapping it counterclockwise (lefty loosie). I am off for vacation and will resume smacking that SOB when I return. I might wet the top with really hot water to loosen dried beer and crap. Maybe the keg doesn't want to be a keggle:D Charlie

use PB Blaster if you have it, that works great. (like WD-40 but way better at getting stuck things loose) Also did you purge the keg or pressure? That could be holding it in place.

Also, +1 for a shameless plug for Bobby_M's awesome how-to video

Remove the pressure first then the snap ring, tap the check ball assembly app 20 degrees CCW. Just until the tangs line up with the slots then lift out. Did a keg tonight that sat outside in the sun for 5 years. A AB keg with 6 gallons of rather stale bier, my hands still smell from it after many soap and water washings. This has been my 9th keg including a couple 7.75 gallon kegs holding stale wine, all have been easy to open.

mine doesnt have the slot. =( anyone know how to get it out with one that doesnt have the slot? if anything ill use the gas wrench

oh how to remove from a Guinness keg....they seem different than sankey kegs

I also had a keg that looked like a regular American sankey tap but had no ring, so I had to grind a tool to use and just unscrewed it. One came out just fine after unscrewing it, the other one had a secondary catch inside that the only way I would have been able to remove it was to drill into the neck of the connection, stupid keg...

Hey all: Just got back from vacation and w/ renewed vigor I got out the center tubes. I broke another screwdriver getting out the ring but the center turned easily. Now off to the welder. Thanks guys, Charlie

Allow me to add one helpful hint to this thread. I didn't watch the video on the 1st page, but if it is the one I'm thinking of, a screwdriver is used to press the ball and relieve the pressure. This is a great idea.

One addition though: STAND BACK when you press in that ball! You WILL get showered in stale beer if there's still some pressure in that keg. Do not do it indoors and do not lean over it as you do it!

Don't ask me how I know this, just trust me...

Actually, take a hand towel or rag or washcloth or something and lay it over the tap, then press down on the ball through the fabric with a large screwdriver. The rag keeps the stale beer from spraying all over the place. It just flows out from under the rag and spills everywhere. Not something to do indoors!!!

Or you could put the keg on its side to vent the gas, if it's not too full. Still, NOT something to do indoors.

Latest posts

Back