Priming sugar in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Ok, I have about 4 gallons of 8% abv IIPA. I ordered a regulator 2 days ago on eBay and it says it won't be here for 2 weeks! I figured it would be more like 1 week. Anyhow, I already dry hopped it and can't let the hops sit on there too long. I need to put it in the keg and carbonate it the old fashion way. So it's about...3.8 gallons. So I'm gonna have some headspace. How much priming sugar should I use?

It depends on the temperature of the beer. Different temperatures require different amounts of priming sugar. At 70 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly room temp), to carb your beer to 2.5 vols (in the suggested range for an IIPA), you would need to add 1.7 oz of priming sugar., according to BeerSmith

edit: let me know if the temp of your beer is different than that and I'll run some more numbers on it

uncleben113 said:
It depends on the temperature of the beer. Different temperatures require different amounts of priming sugar. At 70 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly room temp), to carb your beer to 2.5 vols (in the suggested range for an IIPA), you would need to add 1.7 oz of priming sugar., according to BeerSmith edit: let me know if the temp of your beer is different than that and I'll run some more numbers on it

Great, thanks! I really appreciate the help. I'll be conditioning it at about 70 degrees F, lowest would be 68. 3.8 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg. I was gonna put 2 ounces in but 1.7 looks perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong

Great, thanks! I really appreciate the help. I'll be conditioning it at about 70 degrees F, lowest would be 68. 3.8 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg. I was gonna put 2 ounces in but 1.7 looks perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong

No you're there. 1.7 oz is for right in the middle of the typical range for your beer so you could do a little more or less and still be fine. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out!:mug:

Back