In Primary for 1 year.....Proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsilicious

Reaction score
Last year I decided to attempt creating a Great Lakes Christmas ale clone...the plan was to have it finished just in time for LAST christmas. However, life tends to throw its curveballs and this batch was pushed to the back burner. Months have gone by and I now have decided its time to do something about it. I know the general thought is even if it most likely is bad, try it and find out! Would like some opinions though. From as far as I can tell the airlock was never compromised and besides looking a little cloudy it appears to be ok. Here are some (crappy) pictures...

I figured at most i MAY need a little yeast at bottling time for carbonation.

20121124_175732.jpg

20121124_175746.jpg

20121124_175949.jpg

20121124_180044.jpg

I have a cider that I have done the same thing with. I live in Galloway we should get together and share our lazy brews.

^^^ That's how I do it as well. Carboy brush hasn't been use in a long time.

Looking at those pictures I have to say the complete lack of anything that appears sinister bodes well. I would definitely taste a sample immediately and if it passes muster get that batch packaged!

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Looking at those pictures I have to say the complete lack of anything that appears sinister bodes well. I would definitely taste a sample immediately and if it passes muster get that batch packaged!

Cheers!

After all that time, you kinda wish there was some oak in there.

Don't want to be a downer but my guess is that you probably have a fair bit of autolysis and will have a bit of a savory flavor going on. I'd also expect it to taste a bit oxidized since it appears to be in a PET carboy. I love my better bottles but they are oxygen permeable, not nearly as much so as other plastics but I generally don't leave beers in them over six weeks. If I've got something I want to age in the carboy I transfer to glass.

I'd definitely still taste it but I wouldn't get my hopes up (if it was in glass and off the yeast cake I'd expect it to be fine). And taste it before you bottle. No sense in spending the time to bottle if it tastes like beef stew or wet cardboard-that won't go away.

Don't want to be a downer but my guess is that you probably have a fair bit of autolysis and will have a bit of a savory flavor going on. I'd also expect it to taste a bit oxidized since it appears to be in a PET carboy. I love my better bottles but they are oxygen permeable, not nearly as much so as other plastics but I generally don't leave beers in them over six weeks. If I've got something I want to age in the carboy I transfer to glass.

Then you would expect to be wrong. People have left beers for a year in primary for a year or more without a hint of autolysis to it. Autolysising is NOT the inevitable end to yeast.

Same with oxydation...wine makes seem not to have issues with oxydation in Better Bottles for long term storage, so why would you just ASSUME that would be the case here?

Then you would expect to be wrong.

???....OK

As I said, I would taste it but I would not get my hopes up.

I'd expect that there'd be some savory autolysis flavor and/or some oxidation because I've experienced both in beers left in primary in BB's for over six months.

I didn't say that autolysis is inevitable. There are a lot of variables like the yeast strain used and temperature. But, yes, I stand behind my assertion that there is a good chance that it has occurred to some extent.

As to PETG (BB's) being mildly oxygen permeable, that's a fact. I love them, use them for primary on nearly all of my brews but, over the long haul, they will allow oxygen to interact with your beer. I am not wrong about that.

day_trippr said:
^^^ That's how I do it as well. Carboy brush hasn't been use in a long time.

Cheers!

Just what I would do too! I believe it will be fine.

Really interested to hear how this turns out. I agree with all the above posts, you're gonna need fresh yeast. Hope the temps didn't go all over the place during the year :)

I agree with all the above posts, you're gonna need fresh yeast.

Out of curiosity - what is the reason for adding yeast at this point? Are there byproducts of long-term "storage" that the yeast will help to clean up? Will they consume left-over sugars and reduce an "old" ale flavor?

Thanks.

beerspitnight said:
Out of curiosity - what is the reason for adding yeast at this point? Are there byproducts of long-term "storage" that the yeast will help to clean up? Will they consume left-over sugars and reduce an "old" ale flavor?

Thanks.

They're referring to if he bottles. The exisiting yeast is well past its prime at this point and adding a little fresh yeast on bottling day will speed up carbonation/conditioning.

Interested to hear how this turns out... Please post how it tastes once you try your hydro sample prior to bottling.

After sitting for so long almost all of the original yeast has settled out and/or died off. Adding more yeast will be needed for carbonation when bottling.

Damn. Someone else up at this hour (0138 here) with nothing else to do but troll around HBT. Glad I'm getting paid for it!

Revvy said:
Then you would expect to be wrong. People have left beers for a year in primary for a year or more without a hint of autolysis to it. Autolysising is NOT the inevitable end to yeast.

Same with oxydation...wine makes seem not to have issues with oxydation in Better Bottles for long term storage, so why would you just ASSUME that would be the case here?

Wine contains substantial antioxidants, particularly red wine. It is an entirely different product and thus a poor comparision. We could just as easily talk about oxidation in cheese and yogurt.

Darker beers seem to tolerate aging without as much change in flavor as a light beer. Oxidation is almost a sure thing in the case of this beer. The degree of it remains to be seen.

very cool, even just as a learning experience.

i want to taste beer that has had autolysis occur just so i know what it tastes like, ha however it sounds like autolysis is some thing that basically doesn't occur anymore in homebrew

Autolysis absolutely still occurs in homebrew. However, with today's wide availability of healthy, fresh yeast and with modern homebrewers generally having a better grasp of the brewing and fermentation process, it isn't the homebrew boogieman that it once was.

If you'd like to produce some autolysis yourself here are some things you can do to encourage it:

-Don't use yeast nutrient.
-Under pitch/Over pitch (both can contribute).
-Use yeast with poor health-expired, reused after late collection, etc.
-Use cylindro-conical fermentor without cooling the cone and/or without dumping the yeast right away.
-Leave your beer on the yeast for an extended period at relatively high temperatures.
-Leave high abv beer (>9%) on the yeast for an extended period.
-Choose a yeast strain that is more prone to autolysis (some of the top-cropping British strains come to mind).
-Get lots of trub into the fermentor.
-Use too much yeast at bottling.

I've personally tasted several homebrews that had noticeable autolysis flavors. I even experienced them for the first time in two of my brews just a few weeks ago. In my case it was due to total neglect.

I brew a lot (I'll be pushing 30 batches for 2012 by year's end) and I had a spell last winter where I brewed more in a short period of time than I had room to keep in temperature controlled area of the house while awaiting packaging. I moved two batches that were brewed the same week to an area that, while not temp controlled, at the time was about 55F-great(fermentation was completed in my fermentation chamber as with all my brews).

Out of sight, out of mind as they say and I kept on putting off packaging those two batches. Well, during the summer that area of the house gets into the 80's. So, fast forward 9 months. I decide I HAVE to package them because I'm at the time of year where I'm really revving up my brew schedule and I could use those carboys. I taste them and what I have is 12 gallons of some lovely beef broth.

Again, total neglect on my part but it does happen.

Maybe you could pay the shipping on that so you could swill it up and report how great it is...

So...Hopsilicious...how did this story end? Did you bottle it? Drink it?

Since I have 2 buckets and a Better Bottle of 14 month brew that I'll be dealing with today, I'm very curious.....

So...Hopsilicious...how did this story end? Did you bottle it? Drink it?

Since I have 2 buckets and a Better Bottle of 14 month brew that I'll be dealing with today, I'm very curious.....

Just taste them and see. Since nothing pathogenic can exist in beer, there's no reason to stress out about it.

Back