copper pipe serving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
I know stainless is the way to go but I've got a crapload of copper pipe I thought about using something for. Would there be a problem using soft copper tubing to run from my keg to my bar, or would the acid of cider and beer eat away at it? Also concerned about adding unwanted taste to my brew. I'm about 98% sure the answer here is a big WTF but wanted to know from anyone with experience if this has worked for you or not and what you experienced first hand.

Pretty sure you wouldn't want to do this... in addition to taste concerns, I believe it can leach into the beer and you could end up with copper poisoning.

You could probably sell it on here or make something else with it. I'm going to be picking some up before too long to make a CFC.

Copper shouldn't be used post fermentation, some do for short term jockeybox applications but it's not advised and especially for long term contact.

I agree with bucfanmike about not using them as beer lines.

As far as copper for a CFC there is a fairly long thread about the possible from back in January this year. I'll see if I can find it

I would not recommend using copper for serving. Carbonated beer has a pH of 4-6 and will dissolve the copper into your beer. This can, in high enough concentrations, cause copper related illnesses.

From this article:

http://***********/stories/projects...d-it-yourself/1149-metallurgy-for-homebrewers

Copper is a double-edged sword in brewing. It is beneficial before fermentation, but detrimental afterwards. Copper ions react with the hydrogen sulfide produced during fermentation and reduce it to insoluble copper sulfide, which is left behind with the trub and yeast cake. Switching to all stainless steel brewing equipment can lead to noticeable quantities of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur off-flavors and aromas in the beer. The use of copper wort chillers will provide all the copper necessary, as will including a short piece (1 inch) of copper tubing in the boil.

Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper, although serving beer with copper tubing in a jockey box should not be a problem, because of the short contact time immediately before serving.

Latest posts

Back