48 hr. chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
okay i have seen it posted on here in a few different places. why is it recommended to chill your beers 48 hours prior to drinking? what benefit does that confer?

thanks

hoppy brewing

Firstly, it takes a couple of days for the CO2 in the headspace to dissolve into the beer, cold liquid absorbs more gas than warm. You'll notice better head and tighter-beaded bubbles if you chill them for a couple of days.

If you can chill them for a couple of weeks, you'll get nice clear beer and even better head retention and foam as the protein particulates and polyphenols drop out of solution.

The last 2 beers I made appeared to have a creamier head after a week in the keg. It was carbed up after a few days and drinkable, but it definately changed after a week.

makes sense. thanks everyone. i am learning as i go and don't mind asking "dumb" questions to do so. ;j

Back