Chimay yeast or White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well.... Last week I downed two Chimay Blue Reserves (750mls...I guess). and tried to harvest the yeast for the Chimay blue clone I plan on doing this Sunday. Wasn't sure if it was gonna work..(corks were dated 2/09) but I stumbed through it (literally after the two bottles...). I made a small starter in one of the bottles with about 100ml of wort at 1.020. Shook the hell outta it....nothing seemed to happen for two days. Over the weekend I transferred it to a flask with about 100ml of wort....still nothing. Figured it was a flop so Tuesday went to the LHBS and bought 2 vial of WLP500 Trappist yeast and made a one liter starter (with plans to step up again Friday). I only have one flask/stirrer so I dumped the Chimay flop in a 1/2 gallon mason jar with about 250 ml of wort from extra I made with for the WL yeast. Put on some sanitized aluminum foil and forgot about it. I noticed some bubbles in the jar but didn't think much about it since I was shaking the crap outta it every time I went past. Well this AM I get up to check the WL on the stirplate and glance over....what the? There's about a 1/2 in layer of yeast laying on the bottom of the Chimay yeast jar.... So... my problem.... Which one do I use.. I still have plenty of time to continue to step up either one..(the est. OG for the clone is 1.091 hence the two vials in one liter as per MR. Malty). I guess I want to use the real thing...just scared because you read all these things about mutations and crap....Can I use the Chimay yeast and somehow 'wash' the WL yeast from the starter so it isn't a complete waste?.... sorry for the long post.....just want a push in the right direction so I can stop second guessing my self....

Well the WLP500 is certainly a safer bet, but if you are feeling daring you could use the Chimay or mix them together. I would keep the WLP500 ready to go if you do choose to go with the Chimay just in case it doesn't take off real strong.

Also the English language hates you for your abuse of the ellipsis.

I guess I'll keep stepping both up and make the call on Sunday...

We'll have to see if all the ellipsis screw up my Pulizter chances, hell if Obama can get a Nobel...what can I get?

I did alot of research on that one and the general concensus is they do. Someone on this site pops in everytime that question is asked and says in a book (How to brew like a monk, I think) and says it's the same strain. Another poster on HBT says they have cultured the yeast and used it several times. I hope it is anyway.

We'll have to see if all the ellipsis screw up my Pulizter chances, hell if Obama can get a Nobel...what can I get?

Copy editors everywhere are feeling a tremor in the force!

On-topic... I've heard the same thing about Chimay. Never met someone first-hand who has done it, but I've read threads on this forum that attest that the bottle-yeast is worth propagating.

Back