JAOM revised a little

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
I wanted to take the best of both worlds on this one. From what I have gathered... The pith is a hard thing to deal with, so OMITTED. Instead of raisins I used Dried Cherries. Also, to prevent oversweetness I used 3lbs of honey to the 3.5lbs. The recipe looks like.

3lbs Honey
The zest of 1 orange
1 Orange sliced and peeled
1 clove
1 cinnimon stick
25 dried cherries
1 pack bread yeast

Note: I did not rehydrate the yeast and this is on of the best fermentations I have ever seen. It has stayed strong for the past 3 days. I do plan to rerack when it clears. I know there is a certain satisfaction about having the mead in the same form as it was a long time ago... but I do think that with modern technology we can improve upon it a little bit...

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing...only...still with the raisins. Any reason you switched to cherries? Did you use a zester? or just a freaking sharp knife? Keep up updated as the "pith" taste has been a huge reason for people doing the Molklores NOT so ancient mead.

I did use a zester. It is a microplane zester and it zests effortlessly. I do a fair amount of cooking thats why I have one. You can buy cheap zesters though around 4-5 bucks. A microplane runs about 20 and you can find them at Macys. To be honest the dried cherries was a fluke... I had them in the house and when I came home from the grocery store I realized I forgot rasins. I think it will do the same thing and not change the flavor at all. I opened her up today and took a whiff... Smells delicious. 2 more months and I will have a flavor profile ready.
Dan

I know this is a year and half years old, but can you give us an update as to how it was?

Back