Ginger booze kit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWF

Reaction score
The pack said to disolve 1kg of sugar in to 20 litres of water. and it would create a ginger beer that was 3.5% alcohol by volume. This seemed a bit weak to me so I added 1.7kg or sugar. This will be alright, right?
The pack says the process will take 6 days to complete, will it take longer now?

Also: do you have an estimation as to what the % will be with the addition of the extra 700g of sugar?

1.7*3.5%=5.95%

Assuming a number of factors remain equal.

I too am going to try a ginger brew in a few days. Should be interesting.

abraxas said:
1.7*3.5%=5.95%

Assuming a number of factors remain equal.

I too am going to try a ginger brew in a few days. Should be interesting.

Yeah that's what I got, I'm just unsure as to whether the sugar added to alcohol ratio is linear. Anyone?

If you are using table sugar or corn sugar, you will see 100% fermentation. It may complete in the same time, but I'd give it an extra 3-4 days. Without increasing anything else, you'll get a bite from the alcohol.

3.5% ABV is a bit on the high side for 1 kg in 20L, I get 2.5%. What else is in the kit?

david_42 said:
If you are using table sugar or corn sugar, you will see 100% fermentation. It may complete in the same time, but I'd give it an extra 3-4 days. Without increasing anything else, you'll get a bite from the alcohol.

3.5% ABV is a bit on the high side for 1 kg in 20L, I get 2.5%. What else is in the kit?

This is what I used:

coopers_ginger_beer.gif

There was just the yeast and ginger beer concentrate.

Cooper's certainly doesn't say much about their kits, but their site impies that nothing in the concentrate will ferment. But, 1 Kg of sugar in 20L is a gravity of only 1.020. 1.7 Kg would bring you up to 1.033 and 4.3 ABV. Quite a puzzle.

I'd be interested in how it tastes. I've mage a couple batches of ginger beer and one of ginger cider. I've used fresh ginger root and candied ginger. Still haven't found something I like.

Unlike some homebrewers, I have no problem using a kit if it gets the right results.

david_42 said:
Cooper's certainly doesn't say much about their kits, but their site impies that nothing in the concentrate will ferment. But, 1 Kg of sugar in 20L is a gravity of only 1.020. 1.7 Kg would bring you up to 1.033 and 4.3 ABV. Quite a puzzle.

I'd be interested in how it tastes. I've mage a couple batches of ginger beer and one of ginger cider. I've used fresh ginger root and candied ginger. Still haven't found something I like.

Unlike some homebrewers, I have no problem using a kit if it gets the right results.

I'll let you know how it tastes once it's ready,
Do you know of a chart or something that will give me the details sugar:alcohol:liquid ratios?

I might add some more sugar later on, I'd like to get it up to 5%

I just added 300 grams of sugar to the fermenter and it went nuts!

The airlock was like a mini volcano, is this usual?

Yes, you just released all of the CO2 in the wort. It will calm down when the sugar has dissolved. Next time, pre-dissolve the sugar in a half liter of hot water.

Latest posts

Back