Should have stirred, and strained? (OMG not another ""did I ruin it Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My first post here and guess what! It’s another “Did I ruin it ?” thread. I didn’t see any previous post that answered my questions….

Well, I will try to keep it short and sweet…. Here goes…

My first batch has been in the bottles for 1 week, I know way to early to expect it to be tasty, but the after taste is kind of ripe banana tasting, I may not have cooled it down fast enough, but the fermenting temp never gotten above 67 degrees in my basement.

Determined to do better my second batch, I fear that I have made two or three mistakes.

1. I stirred oxygen into the wort during brewing (Thinking I was doing something good)

2. I didn’t strain my wort from the boiling pot to the primary (How bad is this?)

3. I did not stir it well to put oxygen in it before I pitched the yeast.

It started bubbling within a couple hours , but I am afraid it will stall quickly due to the lack of oxygen.

Thoughts?

You don't have to strain going from pot to fermenter.
What type of yeast was used? Dry yeast doesn't require oxygen.

Hey guys,
y first batch has been in the bottles for 1 week, I know way to early to expect it to be tasty, but the after taste is kind of ripe banana tasting, I may not have cooled it down fast enough, but the fermenting temp never gotten above 67 degrees in my basement.

First off WAAAY to early to even think about the flavor of the beer. I know, you had to try it. I would've too. But still give it 2-3 more weeks and all will be fine.

Side note, banana taste can come from pitching the yeast at too warm a temp. Also, ambient basement temp does not equal ferment temp.

1. I stirred oxygen into the wort during brewing (Thinking I was doing something good)

2. I didn’t strain my wort from the boiling pot to the primary (How bad is this?)

3. I did not stir it well to put oxygen in it before I pitched the yeast.

It started bubbling within a couple hours , but I am afraid it will stall quickly due to the lack of oxygen.

Thoughts?

In order, almost certainly not a problem. Not a problem. and If it starts bubbling then not a problem.

Seriously, the only mortal sins with beer are being impatient and needlessly worrying. Beer can taste pretty funky while green but almost always corrects its course with time. The only thing that stops yeast from doing its job is heating it to over a hundred and change degrees. If you haven't done this then stop worrying and brew your next batch so you have a whole new crop of things to worry about. ;)

What kind of beer are you making? Some styles and yeast types are going to give you the banana flavor, it's just a natural part of those beers. I'd recommend that you switch up the type of yeast you are using if it keeps on being a problem for you. It might go away or at least lessen a bit with some age as well (you're right, 1 week is way to early to tell!)

As for your other concerns. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "I stirred oxygen into the wort during brewing." Do you mean during the boil? If that's the case, it shouldn't make any difference (all the oxygen is removed by the boiling action anyway). Not straining shouldn't make a lot of difference either. If you do a good job siphoning into the secondary, you'll leave behind most of the particles and other junk which have settled out. Not adding oxygen before pitching might mean that your yeast get off to a slower start, but if you're seeing bubbles after a couple of hours, I think you'll be fine. Relax, don't worry... :)

Although I'm not really sure about this, I suppose not oxygenating your wort before pitching could stress the yeast, which might cause them to make more banana esters then normal. Anyone have an opinion on this?

:ban:

Thank You!

That's reassuring, yes it was dry yeast, so if I use dry yeast will I benefit any from stirring before pitching?

BTW the first batch was a Guinness Extra Stout Clone

One thing to remember is that even doing something wrong will make you a better brewer as long as you learn something.

Also - as far as tasting your beer early. I always drink a glass of my freshly bottled beer after I bottle it. You can get a good idea what it will taste like after you have done it a number of times.

It might not taste good now but you can get an idea. The trick is ignoring certain flavors that young beer has and concentrating on what is left over.

I've had beers that tasted GREAT on bottling day, HIDEOUS 3 weeks later and wonderful 3 weeks after that. I have one right now that is 3 weeks old and while I'm disappointed NOW I know it is still green, the hops have to relax a bit to let the malt come through.

You did good on your brew.

Never heard that before .

Fermentis PDA "pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration."

in a perfect world dry yeast should have enough viable yeast cells to start right away at fermentation . But we all know the world is far from perfect and the yeast could lose as much as 50% viable cells if not stored correctly.

I like to give it the best possible shot so every batch I make is aerated.

Hey guys,
My first post here and guess what! It’s another “Did I ruin it ?” thread. I didn’t see any previous post that answered my questions….

Well, I will try to keep it short and sweet…. Here goes…

My first batch has been in the bottles for 1 week, I know way to early to expect it to be tasty, but the after taste is kind of ripe banana tasting, I may not have cooled it down fast enough, but the fermenting temp never gotten above 67 degrees in my basement. what yeast was used?

Determined to do better my second batch, I fear that I have made two or three mistakes.

1. I stirred oxygen into the wort during brewing (Thinking I was doing something good)Hot side aeration in small scale brews isn't really a problem

2. I didn’t strain my wort from the boiling pot to the primary (How bad is this?)Not bad at all lots of members here dump everything into the primary

3. I did not stir it well to put oxygen in it before I pitched the yeast. if you poured the wort into the primary then some 02 would have made it in

Thoughts?

Don't sweat it it will be beer and most likely good beer

Latest posts

Back