Ran out of Sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
i ran out of my no rinse and sanstar, but i have this restaurant grade sanitizer that says "For sanitizing Food Contact Surfaces"...Its Quaternary Sanitizing Tablets. The active ingredients are: Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride dihydrate. And its made by Sysco.
Should i just this? I don't wanna go the bleach route.

You might want to avoid bleach for the same reason you might want to avoid the sanitizer you listed - chloride. Chloride causes chloride stress corrosion cracking in stainless steel. So be sure to rinse off this sanitizer or bleach from stainless steel.

You can use it, but is a chlorine based sanitizer, just like bleach so you would need to go about using it in the same way. That is, rinse rinse rinse, then rinse again. Chlorine can lead so some nasty off flavors in the beer if not removed completely.

That being said, if it is used properly and at the correct amounts, bleach can be a good sanitizer, but it's definitely not preferred. Star-san and iodine are much easier to use, and harder to mess up, and both are no-rinse. Having to rinse off the chlorine from bleach (or your sanitizer) could potentially re-introduce some bacteria.

Back