White foamy patches - pic included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgstewar

Reaction score
Hi all,
Noob here in the midst of brewing my first pale ale. First fermentation went fine (I think) and after a week I transferred wort to my glass carboy for fermentation #2. After a couple of days these white foamy patches appeared. Anything to be concerned about? Or just bubbles? Thanks!
Kevin

It's yeast colonies kicked up by racking...You racked too soon and fermentation has started again...The glass carboy is for Clearing Only. You wait until fermentation is complete (by taking 3 successive hydrometer readings) Before you move it over to your secondary. The term "Secondary fermenter" is a misnomer.

Don't be surprised (depending on how much fermentation was left to happen) if you even get a new krauzen forming, it has been known to happen though it is rare...Most of them will fall trough to the bottom, though it's rare that the top of the beer doesn't have a few fizzy colonies on top.

Every thing is fine But you are best to leave it in there for at least 2 weeks and make sure the hydrometer readings are stable for 3 days before you bottle, or else you could have bottle bombs.

Now leave this beer alone...your primary is open so brew another batch.

Oh and welcome!!!

Revvy, Thanks a lot for such a detailed and information-rich response! I will leave it be and will make sure the fermentation has stopped before bottling. Thanks again,

Kevin

Latest posts

Back