Want logo input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So here is my logo that I am working with Brew Brand Creative and wanted to get everyone's advice. I initially was going to go with the Drunken Tortoise but I am not sure how well it will translate in the professional setting. I was think of another adjective to describe the tortoise. If anyone has any input I would much appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 2.00.02 PM(3).jpg

I am no design expert my any means but if i were to see this on a shelf i dont know if i would be able to bring myself to purchase it. The idea is in the right direction but the design you have here now looks kinda childish, not to offend at all just how i feel. If it had more of a mature feel to it i think it would be spot on. I do like the name drunken tortoise but think the design needs a little improving. Here is the only good image of what i have in mind. You could make it look like something more from the early 20th century, still keep the color just not as bright.
340px-Grandville_tortoise.jpg

just to clarify, i do like how you have the label set up as far as the position and emotion of the tortoise, the vest is cool too, but think it could just use a more mature and masculine feel to it in order to be attractive to the vast majority of craft beer consumers.

I am going to try and tone down the cartoony look. I am still stuck on the Drunken part..

Anyone else?

cartoony, thats what i was looking for earlier, sounds better then childish. I agree with badger on tipsy tortoise that sounds good

Yea, I am waiting for the redesign. I will post up when I get it. I am getting more artistic, like the one in the link.

Just going to throw some random ideas out there.
What about one with its stuck upside down on the ground? Tipsy tortise?

Or something animated but more artistic, like: http://www.fubiz.net/usersstuff/animal-series-by-talktosam/
Maybe something with the geometric spaces on the shell.

Something with a naked tortise outside of its shell?

You are from Florida, what about a more sea turtle look?

Have you thought of any sort of motto or saying that you like?
eg. Beer that gets you out of your shell

Yea I have been thinking of a saying, it will kinda fit anything to do with a tortoise, which is why I am working more on the logo/name..

I didn't want to change the overall design. Just some of the detail work. Took out the lines to soften it up. Changed the name, and added texture to the skin.

I happen to be a graphic designer by trade.

Is this for a functioning brewery selling to the general public?

If so there are a bunch of questions that need to be asked and answered in order to inform the design your logo.

If the design team working on your logo are worth their salt, they should have already asked them.

Your logo is a marketing tool, and as such its formation should fit into your marketing strategy.

What is your point of difference that will make a consumer buy your product over any one else's?

what type of people is your point of difference likely to appeal to?

ie: who is your target audience / demographic?

how old are they?

what are thier interests?

how much do they earn?

how do they see themselves?

what do they do for entertainment?

etc etc...

once you get a better picture of who your end customer is going to be (and you should try to be as specific as possible) Then you can start designing a logo that will appeal directly to that target audience, or a logo that they will identify with so that they are motivated to align themselves with your brand / company (which means buying your beer!)

Be wary of asking for logo advice or feedback from people who are not your target audience.

The toasting tortoise sounds a bit... awkward. IMO.

Definitely agree with the people who said the "thirsty" tortoise.

Be wary of asking for logo advice or feedback from people who are not your target audience.

He is designing a beer logo. This is a beer making site that is full of people who have a great apprecaition and knowledge for craft beer. Explain how this isnt the target audience

If his audience is craft brewers, then sure this is his audience, But he is competing with a multitude of beers for customers, and as such, would be well advised to narrow down his target audience to a more specific niche. If it turns out that craft brewers are his intended target audience, then fine, great research. But even then I would suggest that an even narrower target would be advisable, and as such asking the question to such a broad audience will only dilute the focus instead of delivering a really strong and focused message to the intended end customer group.

In short, the way that people who make beer, and appreciate it from that angle relate to beer and the branding there of will be different from a consumer of beer who has less understanding, or approaches their beer consumption from a different perspective.

I am sure you all know what you would like to see in a beer label, and what would appeal to you. But that is not necessarily what will appeal to a consumer who is coming to beer from a different angle, or has different priorities in their lifestyle.

This is where brewing ends, and marketing, advertising, and design steps in.

I get what you are saying about having a product appeal to a particular demographic but I dont think it applies in this case. I believe most, if not all, craft breweries try to make a product that is unique and appeals to the mass group of people that prefer craft beers. You cant really convince me that a craft beer company focuses on the 21-25 year olds on this beer label and women over the age of 40 on this label. They focus on creating a unique way to market their beer through labels being original, making a statement about their product, and hopefully will be memorable. Here are examples if youd like to try and explain who they are particularly marketing

20110112firestonedoublejack.jpg

gandhibot12card.jpg

user2382_105995.jpg

stone-ipa-22oz_bottle.jpg

I should also mention that marketing to craft beer lovers is not the majority of america, actually a very small percentage, so this is a concentrated group and I wouldn't think they would break it down further demographically.

I get what you are saying about having a product appeal to a particular demographic but I dont think it applies in this case. I believe most, if not all, craft breweries try to make a product that is unique and appeals to the mass group of people that prefer craft beers. You cant really convince me that a craft beer company focuses on the 21-25 year olds on this beer label and women over the age of 40 on this label. They focus on creating a unique way to market their beer through labels being original, making a statement about their product, and hopefully will be memorable. Here are examples if youd like to try and explain who they are particularly marketing

It depends on their marketing team, and how much money they are putting into their label and marketing. Some companies are clearly not focusing on that, but instead on a fantastic product, and you can't fully blame them as a lot of craft brew companies have rather limited budgets. I'd rather an amazing beer with a mediocre label than a mediocre beer with an amazing label. But I do need to pick that beer off the shelf before I find out how good it is.

Once you get into the bigger craft breweries though, I can almost guarantee their marketing is more in depth than "craft brew drinkers". No marketing company worth a damn would suggest going for such a broad approach.

That said, most craft beer drinkers probably do fit within a certain demographic... Generally I'd say white males, 35-50, with a decent income range, I'm guessing... though with the rise in popularity of craft beer, the demographic is also probably expanding.

---

Back to the Toasting Toad logo. I really like it. I actually liked the darker outline colour from the original version better though, it defined the toad better, specially with his head and mouth.

That said, I like the new shell and blazer colouring, as well as the skin texture a lot.

The only element I find a bit awkward looking to me is the beer spilling out of the glass. The new glass and "beer spill" look better than the last, but I feel it just looks like a blob hanging over the side of the glass, rather than spilling over the edge. Granted, I can't imagine that's something very easy to illustrate....

can it just be the "Tortoise Brewery?" I'm not a big fan of the adjective and alliteration.

If you like having an adjective, it doesn't have to be so symmetrical

Something simple like "White Tortoise" is effective without sounding semi silly.

But, brands like Jolly Pumpkin and Winking Owl are certainly successful

@finsfan

These are actually great examples of different labels that will appeal to diferent markets / portray different messages.

The first label visually communicates a historical element to the beer and gives an impression of a liniage, or legacy associated with a beer, along with a whimsical edge in the fighting beasts in the bottom to add a bit of humour (which also narrows down the core target group)

The second label is quite different. I would suggest that this would appeal to slightly younger drinkers, who are looking for something unique and a bit out the box. They may also associate these qualities with themselves.

The third label is quite similar in target audience to the second, and will appeal to largely the same audience. If they were on a shelf next to each other they would be in direct competition.

The fourth label calls upon a darker connotation and might appeal more to a consumer who is into midieval brews, or perhaps bikers, goths, Metlers, heavy music listeners ETC.

Sure making a statement about your brew is important, but it is important to know what that statement is, so that you can communicate it directly to the people who will respond to that statement. This is I guess the brewers point of difference. What makes your brew or brewery different from all of the others, and is going to motivate them to pick your bottle off the shelf ahead of all the others.

Please keep in mind that just because you are targeting a very focused and narrow audience, doesn't mean that they are the only people who will buy it.

Latest posts

Back