Great Lakes Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoops_hops

Reaction score
I just want to say that these people are awesome. I operate a small family farm in Sacramento CA, And we wanted to buy some hops. GLH was super helpful and sent us 50 plants with an extra of each variety just incase. A few weeks later about 4 of my chinooks had dried up completely, all the others showed new growth. I emailed them to see what I should do to save the roots, and they said they would ship me 4 more just incase they don't come back.
These are great business people, and I recommend them to anyone who is looking to buy plants.

I am glad to hear this. I am currently looking into building a garden area to grow various hops and have been checking out what they have and do. I'm sure that once I get my garden ready I'll be giving them a call to get something going. Thanks for you post and GL WITH YOUR HOPS!

I agree, awesome people to work with. Best customer service I have ever received via a internet transaction. Plus their products are top quality. A few of my first year crowns grew 15'+ this year with nice yields. Anyone out there thinking about growing hops, I say skip the sticks (rhizomes) and get Great Lake Crowns! You basically put yourself a year ahead.

I agree. I bought 2 rhizomes and 2 glh crowns. One rhizome didn't get out of the ground, the other grew about 3 feet. Both glh crowns grew like gang busters..

flips

Yeah they are great...only ordered 2 crowns to get them going during fall to be ready for next spring and they threw in another just for the heck of it. Less than 3 weeks in the pots and they have grown like 4 feet....wasn't even expecting anything at all. Great plants and great service!

I'm thinking of ordering. How would I grow them in the winter until spring? The 10 dollar shipping for a 9 dollar item is a lil steep

its packaged well, fast shipping, I dont think they make any money off of it. Shipping is shipping. Plus, nobody wants live plants in the postal system for days.

bellmtbbq said:
I'm thinking of ordering. How would I grow them in the winter until spring? The 10 dollar shipping for a 9 dollar item is a lil steep

If you live somewhere where it won't freeze for another month or so then you can put them right in the ground. Hops like to freeze in the winter. But if it happens too soon they won't be able to establish any root growth and your better off waiting till spring. However some people have success potting their plants in the winter and storing them in the garage or cellar and putting them in the ground in the spring, but I haven't tried that method. Here in Sacramento we won't see a frost until the end of November and no real freeze until January.

Back