Smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Quick question. Bout to brew, first time using smack pack. Do I need to bring it up to room temp. before using ?
Slainte

Get it at least close to the temperature of the wort it's going into. Too great a temperature difference will stress out the yeast, which is never a good, or even 'OK' thing.

I use the smack packs all the time. I usually smack them a day or two before my brew day and get them in a diluted wort as a yeast starter

greenhaze said:
Quick question. Bout to brew, first time using smack pack. Do I need to bring it up to room temp. before using ?
Slainte

You should first make a starter:) the yeast should be at or slightly below pitch temp.

I'm about to brew in the couple of hours. Do I have to make a starter ? And if so how do I make a starter. FYI this is my second brew
Slainte

I wouldn't worry to much about a starter if your going to brew in a couple hours get it out and warmed up. Smack it and let it sit while you brew and by the time your ready to pitch it should be ready to go.

Slainte

As soon as I plan to start my brew day my first step is to take the smack pack out of the fridge and smack it. Then yes, let it sit at room temperature until you pitch it. Make a starter if your wort is going to be above 1.06 or the production date on the front of the yeast pack is more than 1 month out. Pay attention to the production date when buying your yeast.

I use the smack packs all the time. I usually smack them a day or two before my brew day and get them in a diluted wort as a yeast starter

Yeah, I agree with this route. I know the smack packs and WLP vials say they're good for 5 gal up to ~1.06, but that's highly debatable. According to calculators like MrMalty and YeastCalc, a pack or vial (~90 billion cells at best) is only enough yeast for 5 gallons of wort if the OG is under ~1.03.
It's always good practice to make a starter with liquid yeast, even in lower gravity brews. Yeast health is probably (IMO) the most important aspect of making great beer.

Back