which one for Belgian Pale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
What would be a better fit for a Belgian Pale Ale? Safbrew 33 or 58? Has anyone used either of these for this specific style or is liquid a better fit?

The one time I used T-58 it finished high....too high. I think around 1.020 from 1.050. I mashed low and used one packet for a 5-gallon batch so I never looked further into the reason for it, but I'm just noting it.

What was your grist comprised of? Beersmith has me at 1.012. Planning on doing step temperature from 65-75 for about 10 days.

s-33 isnt belgian (its the edme strain), so i guess T-58, altho i dont think the profile is fitting for a pale (too spicy)

If you're using white labs, wlp515 is a good choice.

If you're using safbrew It can go either way. The 58 will give you more spice and belgian banana flavor. The 33 will be more englishy. Personally I think the 33 is the better choice but I feel like Belgian Pale Ale is very similar style to English pale ale. That's my 2 cents

Back