Booze in stores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
Washington state voters finally decided to take booze sales from the state for some folks this is a standard but here it's been a long time coming. The sales will help prices a bit but the tax is still crazy high. Keep brewing is my motto. Now I can get jack Daniels in local grocery store and piss off the politicians. :rockin:

I hope smaller cities like Olympia don't lose out on selection. Cheap, giant bottles at Costco are great, but I also want small, rare bottles of rye!

I hope smaller cities like Olympia don't lose out on selection. Cheap, giant bottles at Costco are great, but I also want small, rare bottles of rye!

that's the issue everyone has been talking about, but i think it's a bit exaggerated. QFC carries American brewing (out of Edmonds), Top carries lazy boy and more brews from Samuel Smith than Malt and Vine does. look at the wine department at some of the local grocers, especially PCC, Whole Foods, and Central Market.

my big concern is the job loss and loss of state revenue. hopefully we'll figure soemthing out there.

Consider yourselves lucky that you're not on this side of the 49th parallel. Last time I checked I can go across the border into Washington and buy a case of brewed-in-BC Kokanee (with pop tops!) for significantly less than I could at even a government liquor store in her BC.

Hypothetically of course. I don't drink much Kokanee anymore, and certainly don't buy it.

Yea bc beer is high as it gets. I also buy kokenee at Costco for cheap but now that i am brewing at home I won't ! But don't mind a little crown royal every now and then so I think it's great. Costco will sell it in gallons. :cross:

Only beer and malt beverages in NY. It always seems weird to see wine and liquor at grocery stores in other states.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings on idea of selling it in stores. It may be a good thing for some. I think since it will super easy to obtain im sure in some places 24 hours a day. There will be more drunk drivers on the road. Not sure if I'm just focused on the bad outcome. Don't forget we just allowed easy access for children to steal it. Not saying they just can't take it from there own home. I dunno time will tell if this was a good idea. Don't forget we just voted people out of jobs.

my big concern is the job loss and loss of state revenue. hopefully we'll figure soemthing out there.

Maybe now the state will now pass that marijuana bill. I'm sure if the state passes that bill they will surpass liquor sales 10 fold. Just look at all the hippys in seattle lol :fro: I thought I read it somewhere if the state would sell it they would make over 300+ million a year in revenue. That would be great for more jobs, less drug violations, taking marijuana out of the dealers hand, probably pay for more police and fire personel ect. I hope we can figure something else out. I just hope they do not raise taxes to compensate the loss of state money.

RandomBeerGuy said:
Maybe now the state will now pass that marijuana bill. I'm sure if the state passes that bill they will surpass liquor sales 10 fold. Just look at all the hippys in seattle lol :fro: I thought I read it somewhere if the state would sell it they would make over 300+ million a year in revenue. That would be great for more jobs, less drug violations, taking marijuana out of the dealers hand, probably pay for more police and fire personel ect. I hope we can figure something else out. I just hope they do not raise taxes to compensate the loss of state money.

Well crap. They were going to sell it in liquor stores, but if they close them all....

And I think it's kinda bs that there will be more drunk drivers and more access to kids.
If underage kids want liquor they'll get it. Doesn't take a genius to make friends with a 21 year old.
If it was at minimarts, maybe.

Speaking of booze in supermarkets, how about in churches ...
A long time ago I lived briefly in Tennessee (Franklin) and there was a baptist church near us that was connected by a short, enclosed breezeway to a beer store. You could walk from one to the other. ("Honey, I'm going to church, be back in an hour")

Back