Just figures when I want a beer quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
3493-img-2473.jpg

I get funky fermentation like this. I was hoping this AHS Aniversary Wit would go grain to glass (or keg in this case) fast but after day 10 of fermentation its got a crapload of yeasties still floating on top.

dangit... 15 days now and the gravity is at 1.018, i'm pretty sure it should be lower but I can't find the sheet I got with the kit. 1.018 seems high for a wit beer. I need need to keg it tonight if its going to be force carbed by Saturday night for the party I was planning on bringing it to.

i understand not bottling to soon. but much risk to kegging to soon? other than drinking green beer? if the keg is around 32, 34 degrees then there shouldn't be much activity going on anymore, i would think if it tastes good now then kegging it would be ok. is that wrong?

i don't see how kegging would be a risk. 1.018 might just be it if its been stable. most of my beers have landed around there even after a month. worst thing that would happen is you have to vent a little excess pressure off the keg and the last pint will make you wish you had more. i'd probably go ahead and keg if it was mine.

It's definitely not done and you'll be drinking green beer that's sweet for the style. Luckily. Wits taste decent green.

I moved it out of the water bath so the yeast/krausen stuck at the top sloshed around a little. Now the krausen has about doubled and the airlock is active again. I know some of this is from the CO2 getting knocked out of suspension but I think that maybe I should have given it a little shake a few days ago to get them moving again.

My "backup" beer that could also be kegged is the AHS Aniv. IPA. BUT its only been dry hopping for 4 days, I kind of wanted to leave it on the hops for a couple more days.

I think tonight I'm going to keg both beers, and whichever one tastes the best on saturday night will get transferred to the 3gallon keg to bring.

Latest posts

Back