Never Again!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first batch and it went very well.....................the more I've let it sit the better it has become. I have 11 left.

The problem is that I'm running out of brew before the next batch is ready to bottle. STUPID!!! I should of started the second batch right after I bottled the first one.

THIS MISTAKE WILL NEVER BE MADE AGAIN............EVER!!!

Just a friendly public service announcment

Even after four years, there are times when I think I'm ok, but all the kegs in the frig are floaters and the next round isn't ready. That's when it's good to live in the Pacific Northwest!

I'm just getting started, I bottled my first batch today, had a good sample and it was very good. I started my second batch as soon as I racked the first to the secondary, then I bought another secondary for the second batch, the first batch is now in the bottles and I'm going to start a third batch after that I'll slow down or maybe do one more batch then slow down :D

buy a case of beer you really like- at least you'll get some more bottles out of it. ;)

I have about 12 cases and 6 mini-kegs waiting to be drunk.

I currently have a Peach Mead in the primary and am planning on brewing up a Helles Bock tonight.

I am leaving for Korea on Sat morning for 2 weeks.

I'll probably rack the mead to a secondary tomorrow or early Sat morning and let the Bock lay until I get back.

Damn demand outstripping supply :drunk: I'd say drink slower, but that would be awfully hypocritical of me :D

My rule of thumb is, start a batch when I am down to my last case. This works for me except if someone comes by who is adventurous enough to want to try my brews. The typical response, before tasting, is not enthusiastic - which is why I always keep a nice commercial beer around. Once they taste mine, they usually will suck them right down - so I sort of "pooh-pooh" them: "You could try one of mine if you are feeling adventurous...or have one of THESE!"

Right now, besides my home brew, I have some Bitburger Pils and Stoudt's Red Lady Ale, plus my son's Miller Lite and my wife's Coor's Light (you can see where my son gets a taste for light beer).

Dang, I have a lot of beers around. It's a wonder we can fit any food in the refrigerator.

I did the same thing my first batch. Now ive got one in bottle conditioning, one in secondary, and on in the primary. Its not happening again! :)

I brew every 1.5 weeks, and use a 1-2-3 fermenting schedule for the most part (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottles). This allows me to optimally use my brew fridge, which can hold two carboys at once, plus one batch in the bottles.

With three people in the house that drink beer, we can go through 5 gallons in 10 days easily, and I just keep the brews coming along at that pace, augmenting with the occasional store-bought six pack every once in a while.

Last night was a brew night. The next one will be a week from Monday.

-walker

I cut it too close this time also. Have 2 bottles left from my last batch and am only now bottling the next two and brewing another. I blame it on the batch I made for my step daughter for Christmas which is tying up my 3rd carboy. :mad:

This is the reason I spent the first six months or so of the year brewing as often as possible. When you accumulate 10-12 cases of homebrew, you can relax and enjoy it a little bit without the fear of running out of beer. In April I did three all grain batches in one day. That adds a good 140 bottles to your supply in a relatively short period of time. If you're running short of bottles, either buy some, (I did) or gradually buy some commercial brew that has good bottles.

Also, use your cheap green bottles as give-aways. Keep the good brown bottles for yourself. And absolutely don't give flippies away. My return rate on bottles seems to run around 45-50%.

Brew early and often, that's what I say!

Back