Dude's Set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dude (or some one) can you explain this tecnique please.
What's with the little keg?

636-siphon1.jpg

I think I got it:

It's a CO2 transfer system - to keep your beer in a "closed system" (well, pretty closed) and avoid oxidizing the beer as it's kegged.

A CO2 cylinder (presumably used to purge the destination keg first) is off screen to the right. The 3 gallon keg is simply there for ease of connecting the CO2 cylinder to the carboy (and possibly as a pressure buffer, though that's probably unnecessary). The racking tube extends from the carboy cap to the bottom of the carboy. When CO2 pressure - no more than 5 psi, I think - is applied to the other side of the carboy cap, beer begins flowing into the keg. The pressure relief valve of the destination keg is probably left open during transfer and closed immediately afterward.

I use a similar system I purge the recipient tank.
I guess the difference here is that the carboy is sucking in co2 rather than air.

So the beer out connector can also have beer in?

orfy said:
I guess the difference here is that the carboy is sucking in co2 rather than air.
Actually, you're forcing CO2 in - that's what provides the pressure to transfer.

orfy said:
So the beer out connector can also have beer in?
Sure, why not? The fact that the pickup tube goes all the way to the bottom of the keg also keeps the beer from getting oxidized should there be any O2 left after purging.

Yes, hence the grey connector on both inputs. It is only because I dont have a "Wye" connnector on my regulator.

Yuri made sense of it.

Why are you guys looking at my gallery? Total stupidity there......you guys know so much more than me.....

Dude said:
Why are you guys looking at my gallery? Total stupidity there......you guys know so much more than me.....

Yeah right. I'm still a noob.....

Dude said:

Here's one reason.
:mug:
636-nybooty.jpg

Dude said:
Stupidity my ass. I think you are the fastest burner I've ever seen. I've been brewing for 11 years and you are way ahead of me.:mug:

Baron von BeeGee said:
I want to make this happen this year:
636-chillinside.jpg

that is a venturi device attached the water hose to create a vacuum in the carboy, correct? where is the best place to purchase a venturi device?

gnef said:
that is a venturi device attached the water hose to create a vacuum in the carboy, correct? where is the best place to purchase a venturi device?

Yep.

Got mine from a pet store. It is an apparatus used to drain fish tanks. Also can empty water beds.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on it but it is SO simple. Cost me less than 10 bucks for the whole project. I can drain every last bit of wort from the kettle into the fermenter and they can be on an even plane. No gravity needed.

yea, i've been thinking of getting one, but i know it is an extremely simple apparatus, and am not willing to pay 12+ for it. how much was it at the pet store? i assume any pet store should have it?

gnef said:
yea, i've been thinking of getting one, but i know it is an extremely simple apparatus, and am not willing to pay 12+ for it. how much was it at the pet store? i assume any pet store should have it?

7 bucks. It is made by Python and is lime green.

I already had an old garden hose and hose clamps. All I had to buy was a barb fitting that screwed onto the venturi pump.

That venturi trick is sweet ! I have a pump though. But if I didn't...

That and I want to put a screen sieve under the hose going into the carboy to try to catch some of the cold break.

But still.

Yeah, the venturi is kind of hidden in that pic.

Here it is.

python1.jpg

All you do is cut off that end with the screws and attachment, and connect a piece of a garden hose to it. That will be where the water exits. The other end is connected to the garden hose, and the middle fitting is where I connected a standard barb fitting. That goes to the carboy. It works like a charm provided you get a vacuum. I'll explain it more if you want to build one.

Sorry I'm confused. Only 3 ports.
I'd expect
water in - water out
wort in - wort out.

Rethink.

Am I right therefore in thinking this thing is just supplying a negative pressure to the carboy so you can syphon up hill?

The water from the garden hose flows through those two ports and creates suction through that third orifice in the middle. Very simple concept actually.

Contrary to popular belief, the wort wizard apparatus never touches the wort. orfy, go to www.wortwizard.com and read about it, and when you are ready to order the venturi I'll explain what else you need.

If any of you are considering buying a conical, one of the many advantages is doing easy CO2 transfers. Nice setup though Dude...

orfy said:
Dude (or some one) can you explain this tecnique please.
What's with the little keg?

Dude,

Just make sure that no significant pressue is building up in this system. The carboy can't handle that and it may not be the cap that gives first ;)

Kai

Dude said:
7 bucks. It is made by Python and is lime green.

I already had an old garden hose and hose clamps. All I had to buy was a barb fitting that screwed onto the venturi pump.
Dude, will this work if your hose is not on full blast? I have a shutoff valve on my CFC to regulate the temp and I only need to open it about 1/8 of a turn to cool to 70 degrees. Not sure if this will be enough to generate a vacuum.

Back