Analyze my recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdigi66

Reaction score
This is going to be my first batch of brew with steeping grains that I’ve done and I’d like a bit of feedback. It’s supposed to be an American Pale Ale kit that I ordered off of Northern Brewer but I tweaked it a bit to balance it out.

6 lbs Pilsen LME
3 lbs Light DME
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.5 lbs Caramalt 30L

1 oz. Nugget (60)
1 oz. Glacier (15)
1 oz. Centennial (10)
0.5 oz. Sterling (2)
0.5 oz. Centennial (2)
0.5 oz. Sterling dry-hop
0.5 oz. Centennial dry-hop

Using Wyeast Northwest Ale #1332

There’s not much that I can do to add stuff since these are the supplies I have on hand so...any thoughts?

Looks like a tasty recipe. I'd double the dry hops, but I'm a west coast hop head.

Since it's only a pound total of grains to steep you'll be a-okay. Keep them off the bottom of the pot while the flame is on so they don't get scorched. Look at Deathbrewer's pics and instructions to get a look at it all, and to get stoked on brewing with more grains later. One idea is to use binder clips to secure the bag to the pot, or if you've got a mesh sack for the grains, tie it to the pot handle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Since it's only a pound total of grains to steep you'll be a-okay. Keep them off the bottom of the pot while the flame is on so they don't get scorched.

no need to even have any heat on during the steep. This isn't actually a partial mash -- it's an extract + specialty grains. You aren't getting any extractables from your carapils and 30L, just some color and body. I'd heat your water up to ~155-160 and steep for 20-30 minutes.

Looks good though - although I might consider using the full oz of either Sterling or Centennial at 2 (or flameout) and then dryhopping with the full oz of the other

Personally from my experience I like .5 oz of dry hops for three to seven days. Any is more just is a waste. I might try a half once for three days, pull it out then another for three days.

The recipe looks good to me. I'd just go with what you want to do and after you taste the finished product decide from there what you would change when you make it again.:mug:

Back