Wanting to add citrusy flavor to wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
So, I've got an American Wheat setting in the primary, been in there for about 5 days now. Fermentation seems to have winded down for the most part, but I'm still seeing some krausen on the top. I had originally told myself, "NO fruit will be added to my beers.. PERIOD", but now I'm kinda changing my mind. I would like to add a citrusy (is that a word) flavor to my wheat. I'm a big fan of adding a lemon to my store bought wheat beer. My question is this: Is it too late to maybe somehow add some lemon flavor to my beer? Would it be feasible to add some lemon to a secondary? Or am I just kinda screwed on this batch? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have done 2 Belgian Wit beers and they had Orange Peel (Bitter & Dried) and Coriander as part of the ingredient list. I would think that you might be able to add some lemon zest to the secondary to add some flavour, but I am to much of a NOOB (as we are called) to make that call for certain.

I am sure someone with loads of experience will post a response to your ???.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

Yeah, that is what I'm pondering. I'm thinking about adding some lemon zest to a secondary, or maybe even directly to the primary. I just need some encouragement from a more seasoned brewer.. ::cough, cough:: REVVY ::cough, cough::

Adding lemon to the secondary would certainly give you some flavor. I don't have much clue how much you'd want though.

Have you considered the late-lemon-addition technique? That's where you add a slice to the glass at pouring time, right at the very end of the brewing process :)

That way you can tune exactly how much lemon you want, and also have the option of drinking some without any...

Have you considered the late-lemon-addition technique? That's where you add a slice to the glass at pouring time, right at the very end of the brewing process :)

Yeah, that is the method I am currently using... However, sometimes lemon wedges just aren't available, or get left off the shopping list. Just thought it would be something to try. Maybe I'll wing it and add some to the primary.... what can wrong right?? :)

i've heard of putting lemon or orange zest in a small bottle with vodka in it. Let it sit for a few weeks and add before bottling. Never done it though.

I'll second the motion on the cascades- I made a wheat dry hopped with cascades and the keg was empty at an alarming rate!

Thanks for all the suggestions... Regarding the dry hopping, never done it, so a little help por favor. How much and how long? And would I need to transfer to a secondary or can I add directly to the primary?

I added lemon zest to a wheat beer last year. Simply zested one lemon, microwaved for a min. to kill any germs, and added to my secondary.

Worked well.

I've got a wheat in primary right now that I am considering dry hopping onto 1-2oz of centennials.

Back