Extract to All-grain conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoFetus

Reaction score
Does anyone have a chart that gives a basic conversion of malt extracts to what they break down to in all-grain? A good basic ratio of 1# DME to all-grain and 3.3# LME to all grain is ideal. I know different companies use different blends of grains but just a rough general estimate would be awesome. Thanks!

I R Confused...Are you looking for corresponding grain variety or amount required to achieve the same gravity? Gravity would depend on your typical efficiency.

I R Confused...Are you looking for corresponding grain variety or amount required to achieve the same gravity? Gravity would depend on your typical efficiency.

Yes. As well as grain variety to create what you would get...an example might be:

1# Extra Pale DME is equal to 2# of 2-row Pale Ale malt, etc...thats just a guess on my part.

Or am I way off on this thought process? lol :drunk:

The easiest way to convert an extract w/ grains recipe from my pov: first need to have an idea of what your extract efficiency is going to be (or you need to guess on the conservative side) then you can calc the amount of base grain required, making any adjustment for difference in SRM or flavor profile by adjusting the specialty grains.

Cool, thanks! I plugged in one of our recipes into BeerTools and it matched almost perfectly, actually needed less candi sugar. :rockin:

What about amber extracts...I know they add different malts to them for color adjustments and gravity.

How would you figure that into the equation or is it always just assumed that the bulk of the malt is 2 or 6-row pale malts?

Back