New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First dark beer for the winter

921071_10151423770591478_1811814398_o.jpg

Nothing fancy. I moved places and have no space to work some grain magic so this was made with dark malt extract, a can of hot chocolate, my entire harvest of smooth cone (bugger all) plus some more hoppies.

First dark beer for the winter

Nothing fancy. I moved places and have no space to work some grain magic so this was made with dark malt extract, a can of hot chocolate, my entire harvest of smooth cone (bugger all) plus some more hoppies.

Looks good. I just kegged my oatmeal stout last night as well. Looking forward to getting into it in a week or so.

Well I transferred my super beer tonight, the Nottingham yeast took it down to 1.084 so it is pretty much 15% already, I put it onto a decent yeast cake that I just removed the starter beer from tonight as well. (the starter beer is actually a really nice imperial ipa)
Gave it more nutrients, stirred, aerated and sealed it back up.
It strangely smells like raspberries, but I didn't taste it

Well I transferred my super beer tonight, the Nottingham yeast took it down to 1.084 so it is pretty much 15% already, I put it onto a decent yeast cake that I just removed the starter beer from tonight as well. (the starter beer is actually a really nice imperial ipa)

Holy Crap! 15% already, only another 5% until you meet your objective, i dont remember what FG you were aiming for?

Damn! but I am getting it at only (hahaha only... yeah right) 11.6% right now, 1.173->1.084? Which seems about right for the lmit of a typical ale yeast like notty. Can't bring up the recipe now but what was the second stage yeast? From memory you wanted this to get down to between 20-35? Should be nice an strong :D

Damn! but I am getting it at only (hahaha only... yeah right) 11.6% right now, 1.173->1.084? Which seems about right for the lmit of a typical ale yeast like notty. Can't bring up the recipe now but what was the second stage yeast? From memory you wanted this to get down to between 20-35? Should be nice an strong :D

There are 2 formulas to calculate abv from specific gravity, the normal one people use gets inaccurate at and above 10%. The alternate formula is more complex but much more accurate (plus you get a higher abv for no extra cost ;-) )
I'm hoping it finishes about 1.03 but will just have to wait and see.
The second yeast is Wyeast Eau De Vie which is rated to 21%+ so hoping it dries out before it dies.

Man I'll tell you what, this no brewing thing sucks. I have beer, but it sucks, theres so many recipes such little time... still another month or 2 away from full brewing...
Shoulders feelinggood though, more movement less pain, still a long way to go.

Well the transfer has not resulted in any activity, I don't know why, there's plenty of yeast, there's plenty of sugar, I wouldn't have thought shocking the yeast from 9% starter beer to the 15% + unfermented sugar superbeer would have killed it but it's possible. I have got a vial of White Labs WLP099, I just have to decide whether to make a starter or just chuck the vial in

Baylands Brewery have announced another competition. The Black IPA challenge!
Similar to the last one, but black, Lunchie, I think you might be interested?
If I'm able to I'll chuck one in, it's unlikely at this stage though.

Baylands Brewery have announced another competition. The Black IPA challenge!
Similar to the last one, but black, Lunchie, I think you might be interested?
If I'm able to I'll chuck one in, it's unlikely at this stage though.

Yeah not sure I can get in a double brew.
I'm planning an oatmeal stout, with a twist and I'm not 100% the funds can stretch that far. If they can, i'll be chucking one in for sure!!

On a side not, tried your Graff tonight bro. All I can say is WOW!!! I love the taste. Reminds me of a sour stout. Absolutely brilliant, the smell works, the taste works and WOW the aftertaste is BRILLIANT. Very god! Might brew something similar myself sometime soon!

NZLunchie said:
Yeah not sure I can get in a double brew.
I'm planning an oatmeal stout, with a twist and I'm not 100% the funds can stretch that far. If they can, i'll be chucking one in for sure!!

On a side not, tried your Graff tonight bro. All I can say is WOW!!! I love the taste. Reminds me of a sour stout. Absolutely brilliant, the smell works, the taste works and WOW the aftertaste is BRILLIANT. Very god! Might brew something similar myself sometime soon!

Yeah. Cheers Dude. Took a bottle to the Chch meet tonight and they said pretty much the same. It just needed some time. Gonna save 2 bottles for the NHC I reckon and see what they say. Just for **** s and giggles. This fresh is ok. Completely different to anything out there.
I'd like to do a black IPA. But kinda figure ill still be out of action. Plus my focus when I get back to brewing will be NHC 2013. Gonna get me a win this year. You never know it might even be the Graf lol.

Another swap soon man once I'm back up and running? You keen? Maybe a couple of brews?

kiwirevo said:
Well the transfer has not resulted in any activity, I don't know why, there's plenty of yeast, there's plenty of sugar, I wouldn't have thought shocking the yeast from 9% starter beer to the 15% + unfermented sugar superbeer would have killed it but it's possible. I have got a vial of White Labs WLP099, I just have to decide whether to make a starter or just chuck the vial in

Random drunken thought. I've had beers stop/stick at a certain gravity. Theory would be its finished fermenting and there's no more sugar left. This may sound stupid and take it with a grain of salt but if you added the super beer yeast after 3-4 days. Maybe it won't stick a little like the green flash le freak clone floating around. Two yeast in suspension at the same time. I don't know just a thought.

Another swap soon man once I'm back up and running? You keen? Maybe a couple of brews?

For sure man. Once I can get some more brewing done, I'm keen as to get a regular swap going. Was thinking I'll ditch the stout and brew a BIPA instead, may as well get in the competition!

For sure man. Once I can get some more brewing done, I'm keen as to get a regular swap going. Was thinking I'll ditch the stout and brew a BIPA instead, may as well get in the competition!

Nice, sounds like a plan.
you going to enter the NHC2013?? I'm planning to get stuck into that.

NZLunchie said:
Yeah might very well do. Might throw a couple of beers at it. See how we go

Nail down your mot and cascade pale ale and you'll be ok there. Wouldn't mind a taste if u can. Although the category is a hard one to do well in.

crusader1612 said:
Nail down your mot and cascade pale ale and you'll be ok there. Wouldn't mind a taste if u can. Although the category is a hard one to do well in.

Speaking of which. I really need to put this on my schedule.

Now to put that in the schedule. I'm planning an Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Tripel and a NZ Pilsner. APA will have to be after that and no doubt in the summer.

I checked my superbeer today and it's dropped to around 1.06 so it's obviously fermenting, just slowly, 1.06 puts it about 19% so I'm hoping it keeps going

Hung out in welly with the mrs for the weekend. Some much needed beer tasting was had.
Garage project mainly. Man they do some awesome stuff

Got to try the new Sauvin neauvau. Grape harvest pilsner. Very interesting brew. Super complex. Easy drinking and the perfect summer. Beer really light.

Got some death from above as well..............

Hung out in welly with the mrs for the weekend. Some much needed beer tasting was had.
Garage project mainly. Man they do some awesome stuff

Got to try the new Sauvin neauvau. Grape harvest pilsner. Very interesting brew. Super complex. Easy drinking and the perfect summer. Beer really light.

Got some death from above as well..............

The perfect summer beer in the middle of winter :)

Any chance I can get one of you awesome nz brewers to send me some waimea hops? They haven't shown up in the usa yet and I'm dying to get my hands on some.

Pkrd said:
Cruised in with it declared. She didn't even want to look.

Now what to brew.... got a kilo.

Wicked. Should have gotten more and shared it out. Lol. Some idea of taste would be wicked

Cruised in with it declared. She didn't even want to look.

Now what to brew.... got a kilo.

That's awesome news, now if you can do that with a kilo of cocaine we'll have a business :p

A kilo... you could do a tiny smash.

Brewing an Oatmeal Stout tomorrow with a mate doing a Black IPA.
Thinking I'll soak some french oak in port and split the batch post fermentation, bottle half, put half on the chips for a month then bottle and condition for winter 2014.

Keep an eye on the Twitter feed or Facebook page for live updates :)

Pkrd said:
I put down a Manuka Saison today. Apparently 3711 goes kinda nuts so I left an extra litre of headspace.

Yeah it's not so much of a headspace thing it just eats everything. Expect it nice and dry. I did one and mashed at 69 and it finished at 1.008. Good luck.

I'm hoping to get my first down in a couple of months with some help from friends.

Checked my super beer yesterday and it has bubbles rising to the top so it's still going. It's at 19.7% now and I tasted it for the first time. It tastes amazing, still sweet but citrusy malty and slightly piney, there is no alcohol evident and it's smooth.
ForumRunner_20130707_135532.jpg

kiwirevo said:
Checked my super beer yesterday and it has bubbles rising to the top so it's still going. It's at 19.7% now and I tasted it for the first time. It tastes amazing, still sweet but citrusy malty and slightly piney, there is no alcohol evident and it's smooth.

Hell in a hand basket!!!! Well done.

kiwirevo said:
Still got no idea how I'm going to carb it.

And I've already got a beer swap order for it from a friend in Idaho

Haha I'd ask for some but I think that'll be toooooo much abv for me.

kiwirevo said:
Yeah, I'm saving up 330ml bottles as I don't want any large ones but I think the 330s will be close to a share size :)

Ha! Yeah, you'll have to break out the shot glasses or the port glasses

kiwirevo said:
Yeah, I'm saving up 330ml bottles as I don't want any large ones but I think the 330s will be close to a share size :)

How's the biggie beer?

News from me. I have a brewery. Well power in my garage. It's great so I have a fridge and so on. And I've decided to go BIAB With Recirculation. Eventually going. Electric.

Back