Aquaponic Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really sweet! I wish I had any room outside to put a system. There is barely enough room for the dog to poop. Keep it coming and I will follow every post! :) Awesome setup once again.

Finally! Bought a house with a descent backyard and sun for my new system. I just planted 5 Earth Buckets with rhizomes and will use them to cut from and start new clones in my soon to be installed aquaponic setup. I can't wait till I see some bines.

For what it is worth I was completely entertained by your aquaponic experience.

Also, my "Earthbox" (quotes because it is homemade, thus it isnt truly an earthbox) hops have taken off really well. I planted them the last weekend in June and one of the plants is already around 13 feet tall.

I also have tomatoes growing in actual earthboxes. One of my tomato plants is around 10 feet tall right now, the other is around 8 feet tall producing tomatoes around 1 pound each.

Hops (two weeks in)
IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

I have my indoor girls in the same home depot self-watering bucket setup!

pretty cool you have my intrest , cause I have a huge koi pond and waste alot of water ,plus its so hot here my garden coudnt hadle it last year . I put plant clipping on my water fall all the time to get roots started...For edible fish Talapia grow quick can live in anything

I just recived my hop plants yesterday . so i will be behind . put even balanced pond water from a bucket is good

koi pond 003.jpg

Wow! Now that's a pond. If I had that I would pump from it to my grow beds (Where ever) and drain back to that pond. Ebb and flow grow containers controlled by bell siphons or similar would work great with a constant feed from a pump from the pond. Talk about extra cleanup of that pond water! I would love to have everything aquaponic "satellite" from that beautiful place.

I did get my hops crowns planted in planters by the pond yesterday , they will atleast drink pond water

Next project: AEROPONICS

It's going to be the future of gardening. I heard plants grow even quicker and healthier with this method. A bottom reservoir provides water and nutrients via mist spray pumps that moisten and feed the roots, which dangle in mid-air. The roots never actually soak in a pool of water. There is also no need for a base like stones, soil, coco-cuir, or whatever.

aeroponics.gif

This is really awesome and inspiring. I hope the system provides you with a great harvest.

You can always thin the squash flowers by picking them...fried stuffed squash flowers are pretty tasty.

+1 for fried squash flowers. They bring in tons of extra money for my family that would've been a waste product instead.

To elaborate on fried squash flowers, stuff them with something creamy, light, and flavorful like fresh ricotta with herbs and lemon zest, then batter in tempura and deep fry.

You must pick out the stamen on the inside before stuffing them. This part is inedible.

Any updates on your growing? I am about to dive into aquaponics myself! I want to build a system just like MarsColonist's system! Mars do you have a walk through on how your built it? What type of water flow system are you using? I was thinking of using a bell siphon with the fill and drain technique, but saw a "loop siphon" that sits outside of the bed, which I like even more but can't find the schematics on it.

I'm going with a backtoedengarden this year for my whole yard and then the only aquaponics will be for vertical grow tubes with constant watering. Backtoedengarden works so well I think I will just fertilize with fish wastes and allow the ground to keep the hops perfectly watered. I think I can get a lot more area from vertical growing aquaponics and can utilize the rooting powers of the system for any cuttings I want to clone for the yard or anything else. I will probably make something on the return to the pond. This year I plan on super hot peppers in my earth buckets instead of the hops like last year. I personally feel that hops grown aquaponically aren't very functional due to space, but I had excellent results rooting clone cuttings from the use of my aquaponic system. I can't wait for this season. Let us know how it turns out for you guys.

WortMonger - can you share some light on this Back to Eden gardening technique? Going to watch the video sometime this week. Seems like regular dirt gardening but using a layer of woodchips on the surface to act as a barrier and also self fertilizer.

That's exactly what it is. You have to fertilize of course, but no tilling/weeding/watering necessary. Water is of course like fertilizer, if you need to you need to. It's nothing special, just simple and effective. I am still using aquaponics to start cuttings and to grow lettuce and stuff vertically. The water sounds relaxing and is great for fertilizer for when you do need to water your BTEG.

Hey guys, wanted to use this as a sharing point to my HB community. I started my AP garden. Extremely easy! Especially when it is in comparison to my other project, building an electric brewery control panel! Took me only 5 hours to pick up the supplies, build, and get the system running. Can't wait to see how my green thumbs does!

image_zpsab7f8146.jpg

Just ordered 4 rhizomes. Going to stick two in the AP system and two in the self watering soil garden. How much root space do these plants need? Would a 5 gallon bucket suffice for one plant? Maybe two?

Hey y'all. Just found this thread on AP hops and it got me to sign up for the forum. I've started dabbling in AP this year with a basic barrel setup. I'm finalizing my plans to do some AP hops next season. Right now I'm planning on using an IBC for my fish tank, making some troughs either with wood & liner or some huge corrugated HDPE tubing. I'm leaning towards the tubing. Currently growing my girls in 15 gal buckets with my custom lazy man low trellis system.

Here are a couple links to my hops growing adventures the past couple years:

Cheers,
James

Would a 5 gallon bucket suffice for one plant? Maybe two?

I've found that for soil based growing the more space you give them the better they do. Personally I think 1 plant per 15 gallon pot is the ideal in regards to spacing, size and growth. This way too when you go to harvest rhizomes for next year it is still manageable.

Back