What do you do with the "Starter Beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Stan

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone did with the decanted "Starter Beer"? After they pitched the yeast from the starter.

Anyone try to bottle it and drink it?

Maybe Mix it in with a different batch of beer to blend it?

Feed it to the Alligators in the sewers?

Scuba_Stan said:
I was wondering what everyone did with the decanted "Starter Beer"? After they pitched the yeast from the starter.

Mine seeds my septic tank - given I use a stir plate, oxidized, hopless, 2row only beer isn't something that fits into any style I drink! That said, I just stated pressure canning starters so I can add cooked corn flavored to the mix!

I've only made a few starters so far, but I pitch the whole thing!
Actually, my starters may not be true starters, per se.
For the few 5 gallon batches I've made over the last several months that had a high OG, I basically just smacked the Wyeast pack the day before, pitched it into about a quart of low gravity wort (just some boiled DME and water), put it in a growler with foil over the top and let it run for about 24 hours before pitching into the full batch the next day. Just swirl it up and dump it all in there. Seems to have worked fine so far. The yeast definitely get some work done over those 24 hours as it gets fizzy and smells yeasty.
It's such a low volume that I doubt it changes the beer much, and I figure I'm just adding more of the same (water, malt) to the full batch.
The only times I've needed blow off tubes were after making starters this way (as opposed to just pitching the contents of the smack pack or dry yeast envelope). So it definitely gets them going, I guess.

Since it doesn't have any hops in it, often it is sourish tasting, or oxydized if it's been on a stir plate or shaken a lot, or it is simply yeasty, in other words, although we call it a "starter beer" it really isn't all that pleasant to want to drink, or smell for that matter.

I like the alligator idea; the yeast should help treat their fleas. You could use it as the liquid portion of bread dough, or water some plants.

Why not add some hops and make a table beer out of your starters?
I've cold crashed starters (with ~5-10IBUs) and decanted the beer into 2 liter bottles and added sugar to prime and turned out drinkable beer. Not my best, but suitable for drinking. Granted, I don't use a stir plate, only intermittent shaking, so perhaps less oxidation. Also, I've made 2 gallon starters in the carboy, cold crashed and decanted that beer and racked my next 1.100+/- batch onto the cake.

I toss the spent starter wort before making a slurry from the yeast and a small amount of starter wort that remains (1/8-1/4" above the yeast cake). I want my BEER to taste exactly as I design it, and I don't want to have to offset some nasty spent starter flavors. I've been using either my 2L or 3L flask for the starters, so not really enough to do much with otherwise.

I might start using them to feed plants. Or maybe put it into a jar to go to the family compost heap (along with spent grain) once I've moved. If I'm lucky, I might even start a compost heap/bin where I move to. :D :drunk:

I've only made a few starters so far, but I pitch the whole thing!
Actually, my starters may not be true starters, per se.
For the few 5 gallon batches I've made over the last several months that had a high OG, I basically just smacked the Wyeast pack the day before, pitched it into about a quart of low gravity wort (just some boiled DME and water), put it in a growler with foil over the top and let it run for about 24 hours before pitching into the full batch the next day. Just swirl it up and dump it all in there. Seems to have worked fine so far. The yeast definitely get some work done over those 24 hours as it gets fizzy and smells yeasty.
It's such a low volume that I doubt it changes the beer much, and I figure I'm just adding more of the same (water, malt) to the full batch.
The only times I've needed blow off tubes were after making starters this way (as opposed to just pitching the contents of the smack pack or dry yeast envelope). So it definitely gets them going, I guess.

I do this as well at the suggestion of another HBT member and no ill effects to my beer to date. Guinness is allegedly 3% soured beer and Mosher indicates this is a desired complexity. Maybe not appropriate for all styles but also doubt it affects it that much.

I pour it down vole holes. I get em drunk then they lay around rather than digging up my plants.

This is what I envision.

carl.jpg

I use it to rinse my drain. I run my starters on a stir plate so they get nice and oxidized and not very pleasant to taste. Once in a great while, if I'm using a Belgian yeast, I'll taste a small sample to see what the yeast may do. I typically put my starter in the fridge for a few hours on brew day to try and settle the yeast. That way I can dump off the liquid and have mostly yeast going into the carboy.

Throw it out. Ever tasted it? Bet you'll only do it once! It's hard to imagine being so desperate for alcohol that you'd drink it.

my starter beer goes right in with the yeast, never been an issue for my beers IMO...

I tasted my starter and unbelievably it wasn't so bad.

I leave my starters on a stir plate for 5 days , refrigerate them for 2, then decant off 80% of the spent wort, and pour in the yeast cake at the bottom.

ArcLight said:
I tasted my starter and unbelievably it wasn't so bad.

I leave my starters on a stir plate for 5 days , refrigerate them for 2, then decant off 80% of the spent wort, and pour in the yeast cake at the bottom.

Likely not bad...yet. Oxidation will show later than a few days and don't want that going in my beer!

>>Likely not bad...yet. Oxidation will show later than a few days and don't want that going in my beer!

Its a small amount, so its unlikely to have any noticeable taste. Its not like its an infection that will multiply.
I have never tasted any oxidation using this method.

And - right out of the Yeast book - this method is suggested.

ArcLight said:
>>Likely not bad...yet. Oxidation will show later than a few days and don't want that going in my beer!

Its a small amount, so its unlikely to have any noticeable taste. Its not like its an infection that will multiply.
I have never tasted any oxidation using this method.

And - right out of the Yeast book - this method is suggested.

Don't care what others do or recommend - no oxidized starter in my beer if I can avoid it. No grasshoppers either- even though you likely wont taste it either. That's just the way I roll...

My experince suggests differently. If it works for you, go ahead, but I will still advise people to decant before pitching. I've found that it makes a difference I can taste.

Recently I have been brewing 2-4 gallon batches of small beers as "starters." Then, I can decant the "starter beer" into a keg and drink it.

Beerrific said:
Recently I have been brewing 2-4 gallon batches of small beers as "starters." Then, I can decant the "starter beer" into a keg and drink it.

I hate bottling and have always thought this we a great idea but didn't want to waste 5 gallon keg space for small batches. Hoping Santa gets me 3 or 4 2.5 gallon kegs for Christmas which will open up my small batch options.

I hate bottling and have always thought this we a great idea but didn't want to waste 5 gallon keg space for small batches. Hoping Santa gets me 3 or 4 2.5 gallon kegs for Christmas which will open up my small batch options.

Given that used 5 gallon kegs are cheaper than the new smaller kegs, it does not bother me that I am starting with a half filled keg. Only thing that is wasted is the CO2 to purge it. I try to brew small beers that are aimed at quick drinking so that the keg is empty in time to use it for the "main" beer in which the "starter beer" was made for.

Beerrific said:
Given that used 5 gallon kegs are cheaper than the new smaller kegs, it does not bother me that I am starting with a half filled keg. Only thing that is wasted is the CO2 to purge it. I try to brew small beers that are aimed at quick drinking so that the keg is empty in time to use it for the "main" beer in which the "starter beer" was made for.

Understand completely. I just have a space over my compressor that would fit two of these smaller kegs and I'd use it for small batches and to transport smaller lots to friends, etc. They are spendy - which is why I haven't done it to date!

Back