Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
So I just installed a ball valve and pick up tube on my kettle and had a first run today on a pale ale I brewed. I thought having the pickup tube would help eliminate some trub and gunk getting into the fermentor. I cooled it down to 70 and then stirred it to try and get a whirlpool going, put the lid on and let it sit for about 25 mins. I went to start draining it and as it got towards the end there was no cone of trub in the middle, it was still all spread out on the bottom and I got a ton of gunk in the fermentor. How do you properly whirlpool without having a pump and some sort of recirculator?

I whirlpool while using my IC and don't find any cone of stuff in the center either so I am interested in how this works too.

However, my pickup tube is close enough to the bottom of the kettle that most crap can't make it through so it remains behind.

On my whirlpool IC, You have to have the output in the kettle right up against the wall. When it's running wide open, you get a vortex going and then shut it off for 20-30 minutes, and you will have a cone of trub.

On my whirlpool IC, You have to have the output in the kettle right up against the wall. When it's running wide open, you get a vortex going and then shut it off for 20-30 minutes, and you will have a cone of trub.

how is this accomplished without a pump?

I just stir vigorously with my SS spoon for about a minute and it makes a nice, tight cone of trub. Perhaps it's b/c I do it while the wort is still hot?

I have searched for the ellusive trub cone since day one. Only gotten it once, seemingly at random.

I first tried the "stir like crazy and let sit for 20 minutes" method, no dice. Then the "use a paint mixer and drill, then let sit 20 minutes) no dice. I built my version of "jamil's whirlpool IC", no dice. I installed a whirlpool port on my keggle for use with my pump, and after some trial and error got it set up so it makes a real nice whirlpool while pumping. Only once with this last method did I get a trub cone. I THINK it was when I didn't use whirlfloc either. FWIW, I've tried all of these methods with and without whirlfloc.

I did a brew yesterday. At flameout, I added my flameout hops, and left it to whirlpool at about 185F, (chilled it slightly, then killed the chilling water). After about 20 minutes, I turned on the chilling water, chilled it to 68F, still whirlpooling. I let it go for a few more minutes, then shut off the pump to let everything settle. Once again, upon draining the keggle, no trub cone.

I've pretty much given up on the whole thing. I think all you bastards are enjoying a big joke with "oooh, you get a trub cone", and it's really impossible. Damn snipe hunt. I've never noticed off flavors from getting break/hop material in the fermenter, so the hell with it.

IDamn snipe hunt.
:D That's hilarious!

I've never noticed off flavors from getting break/hop material in the fermenter, so the hell with it.

I think this is the important part. I never tried til recently, and never had a problem. For the first dozen batches or so I used to dump the trub in the fermenter and it wasn't a problem.

Not sure what to say. I too use my SS spoon. Stir the piss out of it for a couple of minutes. Put the lid on the kettle. Get my fermenters sanitized. By the time thats done, about 20 minutes ish I start the drain into my plate chiller. I use a stainless braid that goes around the circumfrence of the keggle. Thus im sucking not from the center but from the exterior. I get a cone every time.

I have searched for the ellusive trub cone since day one. Only gotten it once, seemingly at random.

I first tried the "stir like crazy and let sit for 20 minutes" method, no dice. Then the "use a paint mixer and drill, then let sit 20 minutes) no dice. I built my version of "jamil's whirlpool IC", no dice. I installed a whirlpool port on my keggle for use with my pump, and after some trial and error got it set up so it makes a real nice whirlpool while pumping. Only once with this last method did I get a trub cone. I THINK it was when I didn't use whirlfloc either. FWIW, I've tried all of these methods with and without whirlfloc.

I did a brew yesterday. At flameout, I added my flameout hops, and left it to whirlpool at about 185F, (chilled it slightly, then killed the chilling water). After about 20 minutes, I turned on the chilling water, chilled it to 68F, still whirlpooling. I let it go for a few more minutes, then shut off the pump to let everything settle. Once again, upon draining the keggle, no trub cone.

I've pretty much given up on the whole thing. I think all you bastards are enjoying a big joke with "oooh, you get a trub cone", and it's really impossible. Damn snipe hunt. I've never noticed off flavors from getting break/hop material in the fermenter, so the hell with it.

Ha ha. I have only tried to get a cone twice now (this is only my third all grain batch). Trial and error I suppose. Maybe one day I will get this elusive trub cone...

I made one and its works like a charm.

or just go to Home depo and pick up something like this.(it will be in the paint or dry wall mud section)
Paint-Mixer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have searched for the ellusive trub cone since day one.

I think all you bastards are enjoying a big joke with "oooh, you get a trub cone", and it's really impossible.
Thanks for the compliment;)
Works for me, never had a problem.

100_0518-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back