Slow day at work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Well not much going on here today. Or should I say too much going on. Since I've noticed alot of you guys are technical in job ocupations I figured some of you would get a kick out of this. All 4 of our QIP servers here in Albany got G disked buy an HP tech because they were on a wrong list to be retired. Basically our office here in Albany is dead. They have been rebuilding them for the last 2 hrs. Hope to be back up soon. Iwas one of the lucky ones I logged on before he went to work. 2nd shift, that's another story. :drunk:

O-U-C-H.....
He might be getting some coal in his Winsock this Christmas.....

seriously, that suqs. One of my guys did that with a development server once a couple years ago. He got in trouble big time. We were able to get it rebuilt and restored in good time, but it was during a rush to finish some software releases, and they needed to get done before the code freeze. He was decommissioning another box to be retired that was right above the one he fried.

I feel your pain.

G disked? As in ghosted? As in wiped? :eek:

Wow, that is "teh suck", as my roommate would say. Someone's going to burn for that.

Based on your description I hope the guy doesn't get fired. If a server is slated for retirement and his job is to retire them then all he did is his job. Firing a guy for that is just dumb. That's a process management problem, not personel.

Of course, seldom do managers stand up for the little guy when it is their own management processes that cause the issues.

Yeah but when you log into a QIP server and see it's been handing out IP addresses all day long you think that you might ask a few questions before wiping it. Along with the 3 back up QIP servers with it.

#1 rule for working on servers in a Datacenter: know what box you are working on.

While I would never recommmend someone be fired for a mistake made the first time, if it is indicative of overall work ethic, then yes. I took my guy to task over it, and read him the riot act.

5 years later, never happened again, and he is one of my best admins.

I just got an email telling me that the project I am currently working on (along with about 40 other people) has been cancelled.

I went from "Lots of Work To Do" to "Not A Damn Thing To Do" in a split second.

well..... let's see.... I guess I can straighten up my desk and sharpen some pencils until my next project is assigned. :D

-walker

Woo, welcome to the party.

Still hard to believe someone would kill a live server (let alone 4), but I guess **** happens.

edit: well, I guess it's safe to say the filters are active :)

LupusUmbrus said:
Still hard to believe someone would kill a live server (let alone 4), but I guess **** happens.

It really is hard to believe, until it happens to you...

I did something like this once only more dramatic. Not that long into a new employer I blew away the entire directory structure of our file based financial system during mid-day processing. Now that was exciting. Felt like running out the back door never to return. Was in the wrong directory and thought I was blowing away something else.

del *.* /s

A quick Y to the question are you sure? (of course, I hate being questioned :eek: )

Thankfully it was Novell and I could recover all the stuff - 1 file at a time. Friggen Gates still doesn't give you recover on their servers...

I don't think(or want) the gut will get fired but boy were there more than a few POd people on the confrence call all afternoon. He was told his services were no longer needed for the rest of the day, Glad I got tomorrow off :)

That guy must be really fast! Killing all four servers before anyone notices.

For real fun, have your admin pull the plug on your order entry database's disk array. The day before the quarter closes. CFO to CIO, "Maybe you're right about needing a backup array."

Back