Favorite Sax Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSweat

Reaction score
Been listening to some great classic rock artists lately, and really appreciating some of the sax solos. What are some of your favorites?
Mine
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Glenn Frey - You Belong to the City
George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking

About 12 years ago I heard a version of Black Coffee (jazz, not rock) that featured only a saxaphone & a woman's sultry voice. That sax spoke without words & that woman's voice was like silk. I can't remember who performed that version, but I remember the woman was a guest on the saxaphonist's album. I've been looking for a copy of that recording ever since with no luck yet. If you think you know who did this version, please let me know. Regards, GF.

as far as Sax songs go, it really doesn't get much better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best sax in this version but the rest makes up for it. Gives me goose bumps every time.

Love me some Sonny Rollins, and "Alfie" kicks some major ass.

And Charlie Parker... the ORIGINAL "Bird"... far too many to select just one.

Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick - awesome stuff, but a bit melancholy. Take Five is always classic. - of course, that slides over toward Jazz, not Rock & Roll. And if we're going toward Jazz - Dave Koz has a few incredible pieces.

here's mine:

watch

Jazz. I like Pal Desmond... take five etc. But as someone pointed out this is a rock thread. so I think Bobby Keys:
You have to turn it up, but this rocks. Bobby starts in strong about 4 min in.

That is Fing rippin good!!, just listened a few more times.

Back