Something strange in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_jones84

Reaction score
Did my first all grain batch. Also my first batch with liquid yeast and a starter.

What is this in the bottom of my carboy?

140_2816.jpg

What strain of yeast did you use? It can look all kinds of funny when it flocculates.

Wyeast 1056. I usually just used rehydrated dry packets like SAF-05. This was also the first time using my immersion chiller, was that the cold break?

I am used to seeing a smooth layer of trub

Hm... I've never seen 1056 behave that way.

The cold break should have happened in the brew kettle when it was chilled, not in the fermenter.

Hopefully someone more experienced will step in and identify it for you. In any case, don't worry about it. :)

I don't strain my wort when it's going into the primary which means I get the hot and cold break in there. Those weird little chunks are fairly normal for my beers and they turn out just fine.

Onr thing I have learned from more experienced brewere here is, the more info that you can give the better. Pics are great but, there are too many variables to consider. Give us some more details.

Eastside

Centennial Blonde from Beirmuncher as my first AG batch. One liter starter of Wyeast 1056, crash cooled a bit in the fridge then slowly warmed to room temp before pitching. Pitched at about 70degrees then put in fermentation cabinet set for 68 degrees. Strong fermentation. Slightly under 5 gallons fermented past the airlock on my 6 gallon carboy (had to change airlocks as one was filled up with white yeast-like goo). Not super concerned, don't think it is an infection, was just curios as to the cause

Okay, thats all good. How is the fermenation going? Have you pulled a sample to check gravity, smell, flavor.... etc???? There is a disease that we all fight called, "Brewer's Panic". Hang in there Buddy.

Eastside

I've seen trub that looks like cheese curds before. I tried looking for the thread we had going on that a long time ago, but the damn cheese forum is mucking up the search :p

Did you use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc on the batch (or something similar)? I recently used Irish Moss for the first time, with the same type of yeast you used, and had a very similar cottage cheese layer of crud in my American Stout.

I DID use irish moss for the first time. Is that part of the reaction taking that stuff out of suspension and clearing my beer?

It looks like break material and "krauzen kurdels" certain strains f yeast produce stuff that looks like brown cottage cheese.

... what do you do if symbo has a case of krauzen kurdels?:cross:

Back