How much foam should I not Fear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
Alright, I know the line "don't fear the foam!"

I'm using starsan for the second time. I put starsan in the carboy, gave it a shake probably 5 minutes before flame out. Poured it out and WOW was there a lot of foam! I let it drain upside down until my wort was down to temp and still there was an immense amount of foam. Don't fear the foam, right?

So in with the wort, topped it off, aerated and everything looks fine now.

Is there an amount of foam that I SHOULD fear? or is it going to effect the flavor of the beer? I know they say that starsan actually serves as yeast food.

BTW - Making the AHS Irish Red Mini Mash. Smells great/looks great...I'm excited.

There is no amount of foam you should concern yourself with.

OK...truly I don't know if there is a limit. However, I've yet to have a problem with any amount of foam I've encountered from StarSan (though only ~8 batches so far). Like most things in life you just have to have a little faith and do your best to ignore the foam.

the only thing I think about is the foam volcano. It can get messy. I use BBs though so I can give them a couple squeezes and a good amount out.

the only thing I think about is the foam volcano. It can get messy. I use BBs though so I can give them a couple squeezes and a good amount out.

ahh +1 for BB..looking to get one soon.

I would be scared if it was lifting me up and carrying me out of my door and over the railing. ( I live on the ninth floor )
Otherwise, Isn't it kinda cool?

Back