Excellent source for round 3/4 in. labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
For years I have been using the staples/avery sheets of 3/4 inch round labels to ID my beer. They are easy to print on the laser printer and can hold all the info I need when the time comes to choose which beer to put in the fridge or cooler. The laser printer ink is permanent so condensation and/or ice chests do not cause the labels to smear. I understand ink jet ink is another matter but have no experience with it.

Anyway, all of this has been documented on these forums before.

I wanted to tell you guys two things:

First: in my baseent, all of the white labels with black ink look the same until you actually start reading the labels. You need to understand that last year I had 10 different beers spread over 14 different cases at one point. So I didn't want to read every darn cap that I came across! So the solution for me was to print the round labels and while the labels were still in the sheet, color over the printed label with fat highlighters. So then the labels would be green, blue, red, yellow, pink, whatever. You could also do multi color ones without much more effort. This made 'archiving and retrieving' beer a trivial task because they were all color coded. Try it, you'll like it.

Second: I got tired of using the highlighters and coming up with color schemes. My lazy brain started to think: "What if you could by pre-colored labels without getting too many of one color?"

So, one day I started looking online for a place that will sell colored 3/4 inch round labels by the sheet. Google instantly brought up www.labelsbythesheet.com !!!

I looked and they have perhaps 25 different colors for 3/4 inch round labels on 8.5 by 11 inch sheets. There are 108 lables per sheet so each sheet is good for 2 5 gallon batches. The cost of each sheet depends upon color or finish but were as low as 64 cents for any color to as much as 89 cents for the gold and silver foil sheets. Shipping was reasonable via USPS. I bought 15 sheets of 10 different colors (including the gold and silver foils) for ~15 bucks shipped. Ordered on a thursday and had them in my hand on a monday and they look great. No more highlighters for me,

Now, some colors are not as useful as others. Obviously black laser ink does not show well on dark colors. But if you stick with the pastels and some of the flourescents you will be fine. The free template they provide also works well. Anyway, if you are like me and like the simplicity of labeliing the caps of your beer so that you don't have to worry about unsticking labels every time you re-bottle try this. It works well and they look good too.

www.labelsbythesheet.com

N_G

Thanks for the website. I'm probably going to order the inkjet water-resistant 3/4" ones. I've been using Avery 3/4" circulars for a while, but they'll run so easily when in contact with water.

Onlinelabels.com has water-resistant 3/4" ones too, but the minimum order is 100 sheets or 10,800 labels for $60. I like that labelsbythesheet has no minimum...I certainly don't need 10k+ labels.

Thanks for the website. I'm probably going to order the inkjet water-resistant 3/4" ones. I've been using Avery 3/4" circulars for a while, but they'll run so easily when in contact with water.

Onlinelabels.com has water-resistant 3/4" ones too, but the minimum order is 100 sheets or 10,800 labels for $60. I like that labelsbythesheet has no minimum...I certainly don't need 10k+ labels.

As an update, if anyone buys these, the template they provide was WAY off when I tried to print them. Had to do a ridiculous amount of tweaking on the margins and internal borders to get it close.

I'm using an HP 5940 printer. If anyone buys these labels, I can send them the Word template I tweaked.

As an update, if anyone buys these, the template they provide was WAY off when I tried to print them. Had to do a ridiculous amount of tweaking on the margins and internal borders to get it close.

I'm using an HP 5940 printer. If anyone buys these labels, I can send them the Word template I tweaked.

Which part number, specifically, did you buy? They have 2 slightly different 3/4" label sheets (one has the circles touching, the other they are spaced slightly apart).

Which part number, specifically, did you buy? They have 2 slightly different 3/4" label sheets (one has the circles touching, the other they are spaced slightly apart).

WV26_9-12C

I tried both 3/4" round templates (9-12C_5034 and 38_10-12C) and neither lined up that close. When I bought my labels, the picture shows the circles touching, but on my sheets, they are definitely not touching. I would have print outside some circles...it would "creep" even further down the page...just a mess. Must've gone through 30 sheets of plain paper trying to line up the circles.

I took one of the templates and just kept playing with the margins of the cells and overall margins to make it work.

I would love the template. Bought a bunch (15 sheets) and will be bottling soon.

Shoot me a PM. I can't guarantee it will work for you because it might be just tweaked for my printer (I basically did a trial and error method). I would try both of their templates first.

I used the template they provide with Word 2007 and did not have much trouble with the template. I think I had to bump over the left hand margin a bit to get the spacing a little better. It took about 3 adjustments to get it all looking right. I'm running a Brother HL-5340D Laser printer at work.

I just do the beer name and bottling date on mine and let the color remind me of which I want to pull/drink.

I will also share my pre-populated and working template with anyone who asks via PM.

It's probably obvious to a most people but just in case... Whenever you're trying to verify or make a template for labels, run the test prints on cheap copy paper, lay it on top of the label sheet and hold them up to the light to check for alignment. Don't trial and error on the expensive label sheets.

Back