Merky at 1 week in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
Just brewed my first non-kit brew. I truly decided to wing it and made a Budvar-like lager with a pound of rice syrup extract added. She sat in the primary for about a week, then on to the secondary for about a week. Plenty of settlement on the bottom of the carboy - but it doesn't have that nice crisp clear look that the Budvar without the rice had. Actually, it looks a bit thick - - I have no problem leaving it there until it eventually settles, but I don't think I want to drink it like this.

Any ideas?

Planning on leaving it where it is for another week.....

Thanks - Paul

Well, leave it sit another week or so and see.... I have a secondary full of what should be a medium-light colored ale, and it looked like coffee with lots of cream for the first week. The top half is now clearing out noticeably... I think I'll leave it another week then bottle.

Is your specific gravity still changing?

Did you use any clarifying aids early on?

No - I didn't use any clarifying agents as I have had such good luck so far. I have brewed 1 wheat, 1 Budvar lager, 1 American lager, and this batch that is in the secondary now. I did tasted it prior to the secondary - and it tasted good. Haven't checked the SPGR lately. I'm one of those "primary for a week, secondary for 2-3 weeks, it should be fine by then" kind of guys. Obviously, I will check it a couple of times immediately before bottling.....

Thanks - P

Back