Weekend brewing thread 3-11/12 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me live vicariously through you my brothers!!

I am brewing nothing, as I am here:

anotherrig.jpg

Stay warm, Cheyco!

Probably no brewing for me this weekend. I'll just be running out to grab some oak chips (I think that's right) in preperation for racking Mr. 666. I'll probably end up picking up some grain though, so who knows. :)

Hey Cheyco, where is that place you pictured? What sort of facility is that?

I hope to be able to brew but the weather is looking pretty sheety. If I get to brew, it'll probably be a nice hoppy APA/IPA. I've been brewing a string of dark beers (huge stout, big porter) and weird beers (lambic, Flanders Red), so I need some good ole' drinkin beer.

Still too cold to think about light summer beers...

Dude said:
LOL...what is it, 70°???? :p

Man, I wish. We had a couple of nice weeks where it was in the 70s, but for the past week or so it's been really crappy again. Unbelievably, the snow level is supposed to drop to 300-500 feet tonight. It's only 40 degrees now at 11 AM.

This is not the California weather I signed up for. I want my taxes back! ;)

Janx said:
Hey Cheyco, where is that place you pictured? What sort of facility is that?
I think that's a drilling rig...we have those in pretty much every back yard down here. :D

Yup, that's a drilling rig. We have more oil and gas reserves than Texas up here. My exact location is 54°10.059N by 118°32.470W Which is somewhere north east of Edmonton, if you know where that is. The weather is pretty good here. As canadians we think about light summer beers all the time, since there is lots of winter. It's cold 8 months of the year here, and for the other 4 months it's very cold!

I won't be brewing this weekend, but will try a bottle of my first batch, after sitting in bottles for 1 week. Will it be carbonated as much as it should be? Or taste as good as it could yet? From my readings NO, but I want to taste my beer (that isn't 68F and nearly completely flat).

BeeGee said:
That's where Grande Prairians go to do stuff they don't want their neighbors to know about!
That's where everbody goes for that!

I shouldn't say I'm not brewing at all, my brother is going over to rack my IPA, and I still need to sweet-talk him into putting the oak chips in. Brewing by remote.

nothing scheduled to brew this weekend. i've got no yeast starters ready either, so i doubt i'll spring for random brew session.

no brewing this weekend but i do plan on coming up with a barely wine to brew later this week or next weekend. thats only if i can get some helpful hints from my local homebrew club as to why my homebrews up to this point all taste similar. three different types (American IPA, porter, and nut brown ale) yet have the same overriding flavoer with only minor diffs. ARGH! o well, im ranting/venting.:drunk:

Janx said:
Man, I wish. We had a couple of nice weeks where it was in the 70s, but for the past week or so it's been really crappy again. Unbelievably, the snow level is supposed to drop to 300-500 feet tonight. It's only 40 degrees now at 11 AM.

This is not the California weather I signed up for. I want my taxes back! ;)
Down south of you is not much better. It's supposed to rain this weekend, with the snow level down to possibly the 1500 ft. Thats low for So. Cal. It's cool enough that I can go ahead with my CA Doppelbock this weekend. With my luck next week will return to 80 degrees and I'll have to come up some creative way to keep my primary bucket cool. :D

OK. I said this last week so we will see.
I'm not going to be brewing this weekend. I may stuff my honey ale in the fridge for some cold conditioning and that will be about it. The 06.06.06 is still going to town so I don't think it will get racked into the secondary for awhile yet.
I have to work this weekend anyway. :mad:

I'm considering brewing up a batch of Jabberwoky Barleywine (my own recipe after some tips from justbrewit). I've got a bunch of LME in the fridge that I want to get rid of, so I thought this might be a good way to do it.

-walker

Walker said:
I'm considering brewing up a batch of Jabberwoky Barleywine (my own recipe after some tips from justbrewit). I've got a bunch of LME in the fridge that I want to get rid of, so I thought this might be a good way to do it.

-walker
Sounds like a good project Walker. :rockin:

Janx said:
... It's only 40 degrees now at 11 AM.... This is not the California weather I signed up for. I want my taxes back!
We got it up here! Supposed to reach 66oF on Saturday! Yee-haw!:ban:

Helping my girlfriend rack her Yukon Red Ale clone to secondary. Then, we'll be back at my place and reuse her yeast so that we can brew my Yellow Rose IPA. I'm using only Amarillo hops. I'm shooting for something similar to Flossmoor Station's X-IPA and/or Great Dane's Texas Speed Bump. Both use Amarillo; the X-IPA uses nothing but.

Next weekend, it'll be the 06.06.06 ale!

Gonna be close to 60 here in NY. Picked up the works for a English ale today while watching my grandson. Just finished boiling the DME for my starter and waiting for it to cool before pitching the yeast. Going to brew tomorrow or Sunday which ever looks better. Meanwhile I'm cracking an 80 and kicking back.:mug:

Its snowing at night here at 500 feet. That's a big deal here but I am forging ahead with a plain old American Pale Ale. Gotta keep the stock up. :)

Well if Thursday (yesterday) counts as the weekend I just did my first all-grain batch. A nice honey wise (Two New Buzzing Bees) to welcome to the world my two new nephews. :tank:

I'm making a "better bitter brew".

How's this for a hop schedule....

1oz columbia (15.1AA) 60min
1oz columbia (15.1AA) 30min
1oz columbia (15.1AA) 15min
1oz cascade(5.0AA)flameout
10z cascade(5.0AA)dryhop/primary

other than that is just a 1/2lb of 15L crystal (steeped)
5lbs light DME
2lbs dextrose
Whitelabs "California Ale"liquid yeast.

This should be a hopheaded monster!!:rockin:

Late posting, but I am going to have a busy brew day:
1. Bottling Stout
2. Racking Rasberry Ale to Tertiary
3. Brewing an IPA

I had to tranfer my stout this weekend so I went down to my local micro-brewery and was telling them I wanted to do an ESB this weekend (so I could go on top of my London ale yeast) and they gave me a bunch of hops to do my ESB. I walked out with Centennial, Wilamenet, and EK Goldings. I guess I need to get up and get started it's going to be a busy day (but someone's got to do it.

10 Gallon batch is in the 13 gallon carboy!! being at the oil drilling place is no excuse... that looks like a good climate for a lager

Latest posts

Back