American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone enter this into a competition?

Mine is just now carbed enough to drink, and it blows my mind. I love it, and I'm planning on entering it into a few comps. The problem I am having is determining which category it technically fits in. What about you, have you given it any thought?

I left the hops a little lower than the OPs recipe, but the i loved the base recipe.:mug:

Did a 2.5 gallon BIAB a few months ago- it was probabbly the best beer I've brewed to date.

Brewed 5.5 gallons today- my first time fly sparging- hit all my numbers which I'm stoked about.
subbed the last two hop additions with mosaic hops

will post back with results

Thanks for the recipe

I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will brew a 3 gal batch with one change, sub 60 for the 120 for a liter color. Will post brew results when available. Thanks for the recipe, it looks like a winner.

John

I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will brew a 3 gal batch with one change, sub 60 for the 120 for a liter color. Will post brew results when available. Thanks for the recipe, it looks like a winner.

John

Can you post your recipe once you get it together? Unfortunately all I'm set up for is 3 gal brews for the time being.

-Kingboomer

Can you post your recipe once you get it together? Unfortunately all I'm set up for is 3 gal brews for the time being.

-Kingboomer

Kingboomer, here you go
I use a computer program (Brew Mate) it is very easy to scale a recipe up or down. Sometimes I tweek the numbers to more workable amounts (grain). This will be bottled shortly and I will try and post final results but very clear in carboy and color is just what I wanted.

Red Rye 1

Batch Size (G): 3.0
Total Grain (lb): 6.680
Total Hops (oz): 1.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 11.5 (EBC): 22.7
Bitterness (IBU): 29.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 lb American 2-Row (59.88%)
1.000 lb Flaked Rye (14.97%)
0.500 lb Munich I (7.49%)
0.500 lb Rye Malt (7.49%)
0.330 lb Crystal 60 (4.94%)
0.250 lb Caramalt (3.74%)
0.100 lb Special-B (1.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Hallertau Tradition Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 70°F with Safale US-05

Good Luck, John :mug:

Many thanks man! I'm getting ready to brew a wheat beer and another graff, but this one's deffinitely next in line!

-Kingboomer

I love this beer

IMG_0185.jpg

I did this one again. I used the same same malt bill but made my own hop bill with Chinook and Centennial. The piney character of the Chinook pairs excellently with the spicy rye flavors. I'm excited to try different hop combinations for the next one. This malt bill is a winner!

Here are the hop additions I used on last one I did:

0.50 oz Chinook - 60min
0.50 oz Centennial - 30min
0.50 oz Chinook - 20min
0.50 oz Chinook - 10 min
0.50 oz Centennial - 5.0 min
0.50 oz Chinook - flameout

Brewed this one tonight for the first time and numbers were almost dead on. The only difference from the OPs recipe was that I used a little bit of melanoidin (2%) to hopefully get some good red color (and a touch of maltiness). My first time with that malt so hopefully I won't be sorry.

This one smells great after 10 days in the primary and there was a nice taste of the rye in the hydrometer sample.

One thing a little bit concerning is that when I checked the FG it was only 1.018 (about 67% attenuation thus far). I thought this was higher attenuating. This is my first time using DS-Nottingham and I thought it should be down closer to 1.010-.014 by now, especially since I pitched entire packet into two different fermentors with 4 gallons each (1 packet each). I mashed @ 153 and fermented @ approx. 67F.. I moved it to a warmer area of the basement and rousened it up a little. Hopefully I can get those last few points by next weekend or during the secondary fermentation.

Either way..going to be a very good beer!

Any thoughts on 'Imperial'-izing this recipe to end up with an Imperial Red Rye? For me, I'd need the extra fermentables to come from DME additions because I only have a 5 gal cooler to mash in.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Brewed up the OP recipe about a month ago and plan to crack the first bottle later this afternoon.

Any thoughts on 'Imperial'-izing this recipe to end up with an Imperial Red Rye? For me, I'd need the extra fermentables to come from DME additions because I only have a 5 gal cooler to mash in.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Brewed up the OP recipe about a month ago and plan to crack the first bottle later this afternoon.

Might be close:

If you want 1.080 with just DME, add 4 pounds and do a 1.25 ounce Columbus addition at 60 minutes and a 0.75 at 20 and you should have similar bitterness.

If you have enough space to increase the specialty malts, but not the 2-row, you could do 2.5 pounds of DME and an extra pound of flaked rye, 10 ounces of Munich and Rye malt, and 4 ounces of crystal, 2 ounces of caramunich, and 1 ounce of special b. Increase hops same as above.

How about this one....
I assume you can mash 10lbs in your cooler with a pretty thick mash??
This was formulated at 5.5 gallons/70% efficiency. Fermentable Percentages and IBU:GU (.65) are almost dead on with the original recipe. IBU's and SRM a little bit higher

Mashing 10lbs of grain@ 153-154F
OG-1.082 FG-1.020
IBU-53 ABV- 8.0% SRM-15

Fermentables
Plain Extra Light DME 4.0 lb 27 %
2-Row Brewers Malt 4.5 lb 31 %
Flaked Rye 2.0 lb 13 %
Munich Malt 10L 1.5 lb 10 %
Rye Malt 1.5 lb 10 %
Caramel Malt 120L 7.0oz 3 %
CARAMUNICH® III 5.0oz 2 %
Belgian Special B 3.0oz 1 %

Hops
Columbus 0.66 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 14.8%
Columbus 0.66 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 14.8%
Columbus 0.66 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 14.8%
Columbus 0.66 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 14.8%

Yeasts
Danstar Nottingham (2) – 75.0% — – —

Great idea for Imperializing this recipe...Can't wait to try the original..smells awesome in the secondary! If it is as good as I think it will be will steal your idea at some point.

I used this recipe as a base for mine and its darn tasty. I just bumped the rye and did a little Chinook and Amarillo in addition to the Columbus.

I brewed this recipe last week and just moved it into the secondary. I was surprised to see a gallon worths of brown thick sludge. I didn't siphon it into the secondary, not sure what it was so now I'm already down a gallon and haven't even started drinking. I have a real crude home made mash tun so I'm assuming way too much of the grains got into the wort.

I was going to attach a photo but wasn't sure how to.

Any ideas of what the sludge may be?

I brewed this recipe last week and just moved it into the secondary. I was surprised to see a gallon worths of brown thick sludge. I didn't siphon it into the secondary, not sure what it was so now I'm already down a gallon and haven't even started drinking. I have a real crude home made mash tun so I'm assuming way too much of the grains got into the wort.

I was going to attach a photo but wasn't sure how to.

Any ideas of what the sludge may be?

Do you dump your whole boiled batch into your fermenter or do you leave the cold break sludge/trub at the bottom of the brew kettle? I usually let mine settle after chilling and siphon off the top to avoid the sludge, and in my experience some recipes have more sludge than others.

No problem, I was just asking as that was my first thought of where the sludge came from. Even with siphoning I get some of it on the fermenter, I just shoot for about 5.5 - 5.75 gallons in the primary (which for my setup is about 7 gallons in the kettle after boiling) so that I'll end up close to 5 gallons when all is said and done. Cheers

I'd like to reiterate that their is no "secondary" fermentation. A Secondary is a clearing or "bright" tank and it's sole purpose is for clarifying your beer or wine. So it really is best to siphon into the "secondary" leaving the trub behind.

Cheers :mug:

This was my first rye beer--it's an adaptation of my Columbus APA with more/darker crystal and flaked+malted rye. I just tasted the first one last night--it's going to be a winner. It's a deep copper color with a spicy/complex flavor--the malty components really come through with the IBUs a little lower than a typical PA.

Grain:
7 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
8 oz. American crystal 120L
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Flaked rye
1 lb. Rye malt

Mash: 74% efficiency
mash 60 minutes at 152

1 tsp irish moss at 15 min.

Hops:
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 2 min.)

Yeast: Nottingham

My
I just made this last week. I USD US SAFEL 04 INSTEAD OF THE NOTTING HAM, USED MY OWN HOME GROWN HOPPS AND USED BLACK PATENT INSTEAD OF special B. I call it my Columbus black rye. I am bottling tomorrow.

Mashing in on this right now - very excited to see how it turns out. Few changes though:

8oz Caramel 20, not 120 (LHBS mistake. Ugh)
Carapils, not caramunich. Upped to 10 oz
3oz special B

And mash came in at 151, so it may be a little sweeter

I ended up with 1.055 and it's already starting to bubble away.

What's the fermentation schedule/time on this?

Im brewing this today. Started my mash about 45 minutes ago. I cant wait to try it.

Updates to come.

I hit 10.50 on the money and just pitched the yeast. Hopefully in about a couple of hrs we get some action.

Im bummed that when i went to mash water calculater it told me to used 10.20 gallons and i ended up with only 4 gallons of beer when it was all said and done. Apparently there was alot more grain absorption then calculated. Oh well. A day later and fermentation is off the charts. Its churning like a motha.

Im bummed that when i went to mash water calculater it told me to used 10.20 gallons and i ended up with only 4 gallons of beer when it was all said and done. Apparently there was alot more grain absorption then calculated. Oh well. A day later and fermentation is off the charts. Its churning like a motha.

I also ended up short of 5 gallons, about 4.5 gallons, but SpargePal told me to use 8.6 gallons of water.

Either way, fermentation is churning away just the same for me. How long are you going to let this sit? I couldn't find anything in the previous posts about how long to let it ferment out and/or clarify in primary.

Either way, fermentation is churning away just the same for me. How long are you going to let this sit? I couldn't find anything in the previous posts about how long to let it ferment out and/or clarify in primary.

When I brewed this I let it sit in primary for 4 weeks before kegging, as I didn't have ferm temp control at the time and figured it could use the extra time on the yeast. Now that I do have ferm temp control, if I were to brew it again, I'd primary two weeks, cold crash for a week, then keg it.

Anyone ever brew this and compare it to the Denny Wry Smile recipe? I'd be interested to know the differences.

I also ended up short of 5 gallons, about 4.5 gallons, but SpargePal told me to use 8.6 gallons of water.

Ive read a couple of posts that said a couple of weeks in primary and only went to secondary to take care of sediment and clarification and that the actual fermentation was complete. I'll check it in two weeks and see.

I do know that I havent seen a beer churn like this in primary before.

Keep me posted on whats happening with your batch

Ive read a couple of posts that said a couple of weeks in primary and only went to secondary to take care of sediment and clarification and that the actual fermentation was complete. I'll check it in two weeks and see.

I do know that I havent seen a beer churn like this in primary before.

Keep me posted on whats happening with your batch
I'm kegging it tonight, so I'll let you know what FG I hit. I had under 5 gallons sitting in a 6.5 gallon carboy and there was so much krausen it was pumping through my blow off tube! The krausen was also so thick that I can't see into the carboy to see if there's an infection or not, so fingers crossed!

When I brewed this I let it sit in primary for 4 weeks before kegging, as I didn't have ferm temp control at the time and figured it could use the extra time on the yeast. Now that I do have ferm temp control, if I were to brew it again, I'd primary two weeks, cold crash for a week, then keg it.
Thanks for the response. I'm right at 2.5 weeks in primary, but I had a vigorous fermentation. I'm going straight to keg and will put it on co2 after 24 hours to cool down in the kegerator.

Did this carb up pretty easily, or does the rye + flaked rye make it a little thicker for longer carbonation?

Ok, good to know.

I hit 1.010 and tasted awesome. Not quite the red/amber I was hoping for, but I blame the 20 instead of 120. Will post a photo of the first glass on Sunday hopefully!

I'm checking gravity and possibly bottling this today along with my Denny conn vanilla bourbon porter. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ended up with a final gravity of 1.015. Not the ABV or effeciency i wanted to oh well. Time to bottle and wait a week to see what i got. Everyone else keep me posted.

First pour in all her glory! Served it at my brew day yesterday and it was very well received. Cheers to the OP and everyone else who's chimed in on this journey. This actually encouraged me to design a Rye IPA that I made yesterday. Didn't have quite the success I was hoping for, but am going to try again and see what happened!

:mug:

redrye.jpg

Just finished brewing an 11 gallon batch two days ago. Post boil gravity was 1.062 so I'm fine there. This has become a regular in the rotation

Back