Bellingham WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
I have been a member here on HBT for a few years, but I have moved from CA to the Bellingham WA area so I thought I would reintroduce my self. I have not been able to brew for a while but I am hoping to be able to start up again soon. I am retired from the USAF and attending Whatcom Community College at this time. I live in the great city of Nooksack about 20 min out of Bellingham. (Yes we do have another name for it but I wont say it here..) Other things I enjoy are my wife and 3 kids, My motorcycle (83 Yamaha Venture) and baking bread. I plan on getting into cheese and salami making sometime this winter to keep me from going insane with the dreary overcast days.

GO DUCKS :off:)

Steve:)

Welcome to the NW!

The dreary day's aren't so bad, but then again I've lived in Washington my whole life so I am used to it.

Thanks I spent a lot of my high school years in Central OR so I am familiar with it and know what to expect but my wife is a CA girl and may take issue with the lack of sun. It really has been good for us this last month and a half so far. My middle child has some learning difficulties and some behavior issues and the school here in Nooksack is doing a great job of working with him. The schools are the main reason we moved here. We are expecting great things up here in the Pacific North West.

You moved to a great area. I am a ways south of you, but went to school at Western and played Rugby up there. Whatcom county is a very nice place.

cheers.

Ah good to hear things are going well. What part of Central OR?
I lived off of G in Springfield OR. It was a nice area in the early 90's. You are right Whatcom County is a beautiful area. The other benefit of being in the area is my parents live in the same town. That we moved to.
My mother is a associate professor at Western Washington U with a specialty in Special Ed/Reading. We as parents have tried to be our son's best advocate but the big business of education makes it so hard to navigate the policies and procedures that we were not getting anywhere in CA. Now we use grandma as the hammer when a school tries to BS us through the process. It is real helpful to have someone who has been involved in the high levels of special education for 20 years to be in the meetings.
The school knows her dedication to children and knows she is grandma. Do not try to screw her grandson. Grandma also does 4 hours of tutoring with my boy every week. With her extensive knowledge and teaching experience she says he is one of the hardest children she has ever worked with. Thank God for her help...

Oh no doubt we are not trying to bully anyone at the schools I am really impressed with them. We only had one issue when my boy had a breakdown. The principal wanted to cut him down to half days and we did not feel like that would be good for him. He would get just what he wanted IE go home so grandma pointed out that with her experience that would be more in the interest of the school not him.

Steve

Welcome to the NW. I lived in Bellingham for several years, it's a fantastic town and I often miss it. Growing up my highschool played *ahem* NOOKsack (there, it was hard for me to do, but I said it the right way) in sports, too. :)

Lots of fantastic beer coming from your neck of the woods.

Having went to WWU in Bellingham, the town will always be special to me. What a fantastic place to be raising a family. If you can get past the dreary skies, there's still plenty of fun things to do outside. I love SoCal, but if I was to ever move back to the "Northwet", Bellingham would be at the top of my list.

Welcome to the NW. I lived in Bellingham for several years, it's a fantastic town and I often miss it. Growing up my highschool played *ahem* NOOKsack (there, it was hard for me to do, but I said it the right way) in sports, too. :)

Lots of fantastic beer coming from your neck of the woods.

Yes it is hard to be nice to a city with a name so easy to hack apart. I am looking forward to getting in to the culture in the area. Right now we are just getting set up and familiar with the region and I start school 5 days a week so hopefully in a few months we will be exploring and getting to know the people and places.

I grew up in the Seattle area, and I'll be moving back up to Bothell (or maybe Bellingham) in...40 days. :D I lived there for a while while going to Whatcom, my fiancee went to Western and I have friends up there still.

Welcome,i live in FL now but used to live in Sequim and Bremerton and someday will be going back. FL is nice but i'll take NW Washington anyday.

Boundary Bay is in Bellingham, right? Fun place... is Skip still brewing for them?

I don't know i have not messed around in town much yet. Life has been more about settling the kids down and getting the house in order and all that fun stuff, but hopefully soon we will get out and explore some more.

Boundary Bay brewing co is in Bellingham, yes. It is one of the best local breweries in the area, if you ask me. snccoulter, it will definitely be worth your while to get acquainted with them. The food is good and they are kid friendly, too.

Skip left a few years ago and has bounced around a bit. These days he's the owner/brewmaster for American Brewing in Edmonds, WA.

I'm down in Raymond Wa.
Yes the dreary days on the coast are more common and darker than Vancouver!

Back