Castle Rock water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdjb

Reaction score
Have another thread going about trying to figure out some beer issues and one of the things that has come up is my water profile. I figured before I went to the city I'd see if anyone in the Castle Rock area already had the water profile for our town and if they'd be willing to share it :mug:

I don't have the water profile, but from experience I brewed a blonde ale back in December just to see since it tasted fine and pH readings was right at 7pH. Since I use 5.2 pH stabilizer, I figured "Why not?".

The final results is that my blonde ale tasted like dirty dish water. Maybe it wasn't the water, maybe it was fermentation temperatures, or maybe it was a slight infection somewhere but I haven't used it since and haven't had that flavor issue since. I suggest if you do use it, filter it first.

Again, just my experience.

Thanks for the info. My issue is that almost every other beer I make seems to be lacking a "backbone", they basically taste like bitter water. I started a thread in the all grain section about it and a few people suggested the water so I might dig into that a bit more...

I dont know if you have already found what you were looking for but a quick googling of Castle Rock water quality resulted in this document from the city http://www.crgov.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=457

I did find that but it seems to only have the "bad" stuff in it. It did have some contact info though that I'll use to try and track down a more detailed report.

Just in case anyone cares, the lady I spoke with was very helpful but said that the city doesn't have a report with the data I need, they just do what the government requires which is the water quality report. She did provide me with a number for a local agency that you can send samples to and for a bit of money have them give you a report but I'm thinking I'll just go with some RO water from the store and build it up as needed.

Thanks for the info. My issue is that almost every other beer I make seems to be lacking a "backbone", they basically taste like bitter water. I started a thread in the all grain section about it and a few people suggested the water so I might dig into that a bit more...

Not sure if you have the answers yet, but I have been brewing in Castle Rock for a year (about 40 batches). Straight from the faucet. I find the water fine and the beer to be very good and full body. I doubt it is the water. There is a club, the castle rock hoppers and they have a ton of experience. I am also looking into the water to try and advance my skills.

Latest posts

Back