Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
How soon after sanitizing with one-step can I bottle? Do the bottles have to dry cometely?

Thanks.

Not in my experience. I've only bottled twice, but I turn them upside down on a paper towel and leave them for a few minutes. I'd say that gets em 90%. That should be fine.

One Step is a no-rinse agent... Assuming you're referring to how long it takes for that product to sanitize so that it's safe to bottle, some sources say "on contact"... others say "two minutes" of contact time required. Somewhere in between is probably fine assuming your bottles are already clean. Also, your bottles don't need to dry - in fact it's best for your bottles (or whatever else you may be sanitizing) to be wet, as it's the solution that keeps the surface sanitized. Once it dries you lose that "protection".

Posting a retraction... Although its common practice to keep a spray bottle of sanitizer around on brew day, I misspoke regarding the need for your sanitized objects to necessarily be "wet" in order to be protected. It might be safer and/or provide more ease of mind, but air dried items are fine provided proper contact time (and reasonable circumstances). My bad.

Something you may want to look into is a vinator. Put your cleaned bottles on the nipple and pump a few times and the sanatizing solution coats the whole bottle. Star San works great for that and you can throw the bottle caps in there to sanatize as well.

Not in my experience. I've only bottled twice, but I turn them upside down on a paper towel and leave them for a few minutes. I'd say that gets em 90%. That should be fine.

not to be that guy, but one step isn't really a sanitizer and definitely not no rinse. i use it as a cleanser, and it's great, but it'll leave a film behind that needs rinsing. i've heard it can leave a metallic-y taste when left unrinsed. what i do is clean with one step, rinse with hot hot water then sanitize with star san, which is a no rinse, wet contact santizer. if the bottles are wet with star san, they're good to bottle.

I just saw this last post, and my jaw dropped open. Yes, one-step is a no rinse CLEANSER! It does not sanitize. Whoa. That being said, I've been using it for the last six months (alone) and had no sanitation problems. This could just be luck, so I'm getting some sanitizer ASAP. Thanks!

Something you may want to look into is a vinator. Put your cleaned bottles on the nipple and pump a few times and the sanatizing solution coats the whole bottle. Star San works great for that and you can throw the bottle caps in there to sanatize as well.

This is what I do too. I forget the exact contact-time-to-sanitization, but it's something like 45 seconds (why Google it when I can speculate?). Whatever it is, I've never had any infections. And I'm impatient.

Also, the vinator changed my life. :mug:

Back