Honey Adition Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stale

Reaction score
Hey all,
just been reading and checking up on what's happenin around the site.... My question is... when do most of you add in your honey? before or after boil? So far, I've been adding my honey into the mix just prior to boil. What's the dif? Do I boil it off or will adding later add a more decidedly honey flavour? any thoughts? I really like to know.

I've done it three different times, 15 min left in the boil, at flameout and 48 hours into fermentation. I can tell you the first 2 results were pretty much the same, adds to your SG nicely, but you get almost no perceptable honey taste at all. The later method should be consumed mostly as well, but there's a prevailing sentiment that you could get some honey flavor. Added mine today so we shall see.

-RS

the last recipe I had siad for more of a predominant honey tatse add 30 mnutes left in the boil and 15 minutes for more aroma and less flavor

You should try adding it when primary fermentation is winding down. also 3/4 cup for priming. great honey flavors. you should also get good raw honey not cheap stuff.

Definitely get the real stuff, not the watered down variety. If you can get it straight from a bee farmer, that's the legit stuff. It comes in half a dozen flower varieties as well so they'll all be a little different. Mesquite, wild flower, and orange blossom are popular here in AZ.

I agree about adding it in primary. Works well.

However, I don't think I'd go through the hassle of priming with it for usual batches.

I add 1 lb to 2 lbs per 6 1/2 gallon batch at flame out and get great honey flavor.I use orange blossom honey with cacade hops for a light pale ale.

I like it at different times depending on what I am after, but I am not one to boil my honey (she gets rather angry when I try). I typically add it later in the fermentation to retain as much of the aroma as I can. I like adding it at the end of primary.

Latest posts

Back