ABV question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showtime24

Reaction score
I dont make wine, I make beer but a friend of mine made some "hooch" and I was wondering what the estimated alcohol content is of this stuff he made. he gave me a list of ingredients and they were 4 gallons of white grape juice, 1 gallon of water and 20 lbs of sugar. he said it taste like crap but is really strong but I was just wondering if one of yall can give me an estimation

We dont talk about hooch here, most hooch threads get deleted. By the sound of it your friend probably got about 10-12% of achohal until the yeast stalled or flamed out. Hooch normally taste like crap and it normally is strong. I wouldn't drink to much of it, hooch is known for tareing up the stomic. Other then that its fun to screw around with, but we dont talk about it.

Cheers

Well, white grape juice may be an OG of around 1.045 or so. 1 pound of sugar would add 46 SG points per pound. A gallon of water would be 1.000.

So, it looks like the OG would be around 1.200ish. It really depends on how much natural sugar the juice had.

Most wine yeasts will die out at between 12-15% ABV. A yeast like champagne yeast would go up to about 18% if it wasn't too stressed.

The result would be a very hot, very sweet 18% "wine". If he used a lesser attenuative yeast, it might have died out before it got to 18%, though...

With half that amount of sugar, it'd be about the same ABV but not as sweet. When the yeast dies off, the alcohol can't get any higher.

We're about making good tasting beverages, though, not hooch. If you want to make a nice tasting and easy wine, that's fine. But any hooch threads will be deleted.

lol yea i will never be making any hooch, i was just wondering. I do plan on in the future making some good wine for the wife and im sure yall will be a tone of help when that comes around. i am only on my second batch of HB as we speak so im going to get used to brewing beer and then step into the wine.

Back