Witbier fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurzschluss1

Reaction score
I just started to brew my second batch ever a Belgian Witbier. The instructions in the kit say to ferment at a temperature of 64 to 72 degrees. I have the ability now to set the exact temperature I want since I just bought a fridge and build a temperature controller and built a heater. I was thinking of setting it at 65 degrees. Does anyone else have any experience or advice considering this is a Witbier?

kurzschluss1 said:
I just started to brew my second batch ever a Belgian Witbier. The instructions in the kit say to ferment at a temperature of 64 to 72 degrees. I have the ability now to set the exact temperature I want since I just bought a fridge and build a temperature controller and built a heater. I was thinking of setting it at 65 degrees. Does anyone else have any experience or advice considering this is a Witbier?

Most importantly, what yeast?

The yeast is what you need to worry about. If the temp on the yeast says 64-72, stay close to the low end unless you want the esters that you will get by fermenting higher.

The yeast is what you need to worry about. If the temp on the yeast says 64-72, stay close to the low end unless you want the esters that you will get by fermenting higher.

Hadn't thought of that ... Maybe build in a few degrees of margin for temperature rise inside the bucket?

Characteristics
Finally, a dry beer yeast strain for use in those Bavarian style Hefeweizens and Dunkelweizens. This yeast produces the classic estery, phenolic flavors typical of Bavarian hefeweizens. Flocculation is somewhat low as expected, adding the the yeast-in-suspension flavor profile of these cloudy styles. The attenuation is reportedly a bit low, so mash a bit lower if you're going for some dryness. Fermentation temperatures are reported at 59 to 75 degrees ... with 68 being about right.

Specifications
Typical Use : German Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen
Flocculation : Low to Medium
Attenuation : "Medium to Medium Low"
Ideal Fermentation Temperatures : 59° to 75°

According to fermentis.com this is what you should ferment at -

12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)
for clover flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)
for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

If you do not want the banana or clove taste stay at the low end.

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBWB06.pdf

Characteristics
Finally, a dry beer yeast strain for use in those Bavarian style Hefeweizens and Dunkelweizens. This yeast produces the classic estery, phenolic flavors typical of Bavarian hefeweizens. Flocculation is somewhat low as expected, adding the the yeast-in-suspension flavor profile of these cloudy styles. The attenuation is reportedly a bit low, so mash a bit lower if you're going for some dryness. Fermentation temperatures are reported at 59 to 75 degrees ... with 68 being about right.

Specifications
Typical Use : German Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen
Flocculation : Low to Medium
Attenuation : "Medium to Medium Low"
Ideal Fermentation Temperatures : 59° to 75°

According to fermentis.com this is what you should ferment at -

12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)
for clover flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)
for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

If you do not want the banana or clove taste stay at the low end.

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBWB06.pdf

Awesome thanks!!!!!!

Being a traditional wheat style strain if you ferment towards the lower end you get more clove and the higher end will produce more banana notes, personally I would shoot for the middle to get a balance

Also be aware that sulfur is a predominant byproduct of fermentation and if you don't allow the yeast time to finish and clear it can carry over

Back