More then 50% chocolate malt, fixing this mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warner

Reaction score
So went down to the brew shop to pick up grain for my next brew day. Well I messed up on weighing out the grain and ended up with something along the lines of 2 lbs British 2 row, .5 lbs crystal 20, 1.5 lbs crystal 60, and about 5 lbs chocolate malt. I figured since I messed up might as well mill it and give it a shot. I'm hoping thats enough 2 row to provide the enzymes for the mash. Anyone one have any experience with a mash with this much roasted malt?

I was thinking about trying to turn it in to a 3 gal all grain batch and using british yeast with it. Hoping it turns out something porter or stout like. Any ideas on how bitter it would be, how to hop this, or anything else that could be done or added to this grain bill that could help?

This is the first (and hopefully only) time I've messed up like this so any help would be great.

That's WAY too much chocolate. I wouldn't bet that this would be drinkable. If it was me I'd save this as a "dark roasted malt" that you can add in small amounts to future batches, and I'd start over. Just my opinion...

If I where to do that since its already milled any suggestions on keeping it so it doesn't go bad?

Too bad it's milled. You might be able to buy a couple months in the freezer. Do you have friends that brew or are you in a homebrew club? You could split it up into 5 or 6 batches and add a bunch of 2 Row and a little more crystal. Make a "big brew party" out of it.

I guess I'll stick it in the freezer for now and possibly just take it as a learning experience, oh well.

Though I found a recipe in radical brewing for "stout butt beer 1720" which is 86% brown malt and 14% 6 row. I've never used brown malt, but how much difference is there between brown and chocolate malt? Might just try making a gallon batch out of some of the grain and save the rest.

I recently brewed a beer with 25% dark malt (including ~4% carafa and ~8% black patent) and it was totally undrinkable. +1 to previous suggestions, try to use your malt in smaller portions in other beers.

Sounds like it'd turn out like Satan's arse tarted up with sweetex using the originally posted percentages:D

Supposedly a decent tupperware tub in the freezer can keep milled grains fresh enough for a couple, to a few, months:) Then you could gradually use up the specialty malts whilst using proper quantities of your base malts:):mug:

I guess I'll stick it in the freezer for now and possibly just take it as a learning experience, oh well.

Though I found a recipe in radical brewing for "stout butt beer 1720" which is 86% brown malt and 14% 6 row. I've never used brown malt, but how much difference is there between brown and chocolate malt? Might just try making a gallon batch out of some of the grain and save the rest.

There's a pretty big difference between brown and chocolate. Brown is about half way between the color of 2Row and chocolate. I will say that Brown malt is a nice malt, though. I like it a lot, but in your case it's nothing like what you have.

Get a few extra buckets, a 55lb sack of 2 Row, and a few specialty malts and mix that "chocolate heavy" grain bill you have to make ambers, browns, stouts, porters, etc. I'd say you could split it up in to about 6 to 8 batches to even out all of that dark malt.

Back