Tea Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosbrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried brewing beer with tea? Not from it. I would like to try brewing and IPA with maybe some green tea leaves. I hear if they are fermented too long they become sweet. Is this true?

Mix a tad of strongly brewed tea in a beer you have and taste before you make 5+ gallons. It's not as appealing as it sounds IMO.

Not quite what you have in mind, but I made a low-hopped beer with chamomile and it was great. An IPA could drown out some of the tea but still worth a shot

worstbrewing said:
Not quite what you have in mind, but I made a low-hopped beer with chamomile and it was great. An IPA could drown out some of the tea but still worth a shot

Hmm a chamomile IPA....that would be a good nighty night brew.

My neighbor said he once made a green tea beer. He said it was great, but the tea flavor faded after about a month. I'm not sure what style the beer was, but I assume it was fairly light.

I did a Chamomile Honey Wheat for my wife. Brewed it as a honey wheat first. Dry hopped it with lemon zest. Made a tea out of loose chamomile and a good vodka for a week, then added it to the secondary. Good summer beer for the ladies.

Cape Ann Brewing Co. In Gloucester Mass do a Barleywine with 3 kinds of tea that is tasty. Not sure how to go about it.

Fishermen's Tea Party

Smokey and smooth, the Tea Party is a berley wine made with 3 different styles of tea that were amongst the types dummped during Boston Tea Party. The tea has the added bonus of smoothing out the finish and adding to the complexity.
http://www.capeannbrewing.com/master/index.html

Mix a tad of strongly brewed tea in a beer you have and taste before you make 5+ gallons. It's not as appealing as it sounds IMO.

I think I'd do the same. This way you don't loose 5 gallons of beer. Same thing can be done for fruit additives.

Rogness Brewing has a great Tea Beer, called "Yogi" I had it on tap at Whip In in South Austin. I had it with Indian food, it was great! (Whip in is a great spot for all things craft beer and they also serve amazeballs Indian food) Here's teh description of the beer from their site:

More than a beer, this is a state of mind. Yogi has a rich copper color with aromas of honey, oak, lavender and black tea. Saigon cinnamon, clove, ginger, cardamom, and black pepper create an exotic flavor profile. Caramel notes are offset by rich tannins. Ideally served at 50 - 55°F.

Food Pairings
Pair with bold Asian foods such as Thai and Indian curry. Also pairs well with Tandoori chicken.

I made a pale ale and added a few pots of a citrus/goji berry green tea to it after the boil, it was good but I would use a bit less hops if I did it again to let the tea come through more. Not my best beer but it had potential.

I would think you would sub most of the aroma and flavor hops with the tea and avoid a lage amount of bittering. In my mind the tea would take over the hops role in everything but preservation,

This is all theory as i have not made a tea beer and am not planning on doing so.

Rogness Brewing has a great Tea Beer, called "Yogi" I had it on tap at Whip In in South Austin. I had it with Indian food, it was great! (Whip in is a great spot for all things craft beer and they also serve amazeballs Indian food) Here's teh description of the beer from their site:

More than a beer, this is a state of mind. Yogi has a rich copper color with aromas of honey, oak, lavender and black tea. Saigon cinnamon, clove, ginger, cardamom, and black pepper create an exotic flavor profile. Caramel notes are offset by rich tannins. Ideally served at 50 - 55°F.

Food Pairings
Pair with bold Asian foods such as Thai and Indian curry. Also pairs well with Tandoori chicken.

sounds like they mixed in some masala chai. you know that Yogi is a brand of tea too, right?

Latest posts

Back