3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I sanitize/clean my keg 3 days ahead of time? I just want to make my prep work easy for sunday

• Wake Up
  • Put on a pot of coffee
  • Fill keg with sani and water
  • Wait for coffee to brew and pour yourself a cup
  • Drain off the sani with your auto-siphon
  • Drink your coffee
  • Xfer the beer
  • Pour yourself another cup of coffe, but make it Irish this time.

ao125 said:
[*]Wake Up
[*]Put on a pot of coffee
[*]Fill keg with sani and water
[*]Wait for coffee to brew and pour yourself a cup
[*]Drain off the sani with your auto-siphon
[*]Drink your coffee
[*]Xfer the beer
[*]Pour yourself another cup of coffe, but make it Irish this time.

I like your style.

Hopacolypse said:
Can I sanitize/clean my keg 3 days ahead of time? I just want to make my prep work easy for sunday

Yes, I'd do all the time, just hit it with CO2 to seal it up. After sanitizing, I like to hook the keg up to my empty tap and run the starsan through the line/tap then just leave the keg pressurized.

ao125's method works also.

Has anyone reached out to Three Floyds for a clone recipe, or asked for them to look at this recipe? I'd like to attempt a go at the Zombie Dust, but want to mimic Three Floyd's actual recipe as much as I can.

@skeezerpleezer Has your recipe on post #1 been edited to reflect the experimenting and feedback you've received? If not, I'd recommend it since it's the place everyone starts at on this thread. 21 pages and counting is quite a bit to sift through.

Cheers.

As a westcoaster I haven't had the pleasure of enjoying zombie dust. However, it will be on cask tonight at a Real Ale festival. Can't wait to try it and see what you guys are talking about (and yes, I will be taking notes =)

Hey all,

I am very excited about being able to brew this tomorrow..

I plan on going with wyeast 1968

For those that have used this yeast.. What mash temps have been successful? I was told to mash low BC this yeast is known to leave some body behind

I mashed my 1968 batch at 155 and it ended up a couple point higher than I wanted (higher than the s-04 and s-05 batches). I would probably do 151-152 next time with that yeast.

Threetall said:
I did a partial mash recipe today, and got an OG of 1.060. What is this going to do for my beer?

It will be fine. Maybe a little light on abv, and a bit dryer, but it won't be a bad beer.

Bottling tomorrow.

Only thing I changed was adding 4oz of whole leaf for dry hop instead of 3 because I had only had 4oz of whole leaf and figured it couldn't hurt.

Will post in a few weeks when I drink it.

Edit: smelled amazing today, cannot wait to drink this!

On second day of force carb at 30psi. My parents 30th anniversary was last night and was FORCED to try it. Wow this beer turned out great. I had the true zombie dust an hour before tapping my version and the only thing I would do different is bump up on the dry hop.

Finally had my point of reference. Can't wait to brew my own.

image-1627568952.jpg

RC0032 said:
Anyone have the latest recipe revision?

Post 1. It seems as though Similar results are being achieved with 1968 or S-04 yeast. I have used both and didn't recall much difference, but unfortunately drank all the S-04 before I could do a side by side. The 1968 did finish a couple points higher on FG, so maybe mash around 152 or so if you go that route.

Hopacolypse- glad it turned out well for you. I think you will find it improves in another week or two.

I hope it lasts that long! I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch but didn't compensate enough water in the boil for the whole leaf citra soaking some of it up...so I ended with a little over 4 gallons (after secondary and kegging). I highly intend on doing 10 gallons next time around.

Has anyone successfully come up with a lower ABV version of this amazing recipe? I'd love to get this down around 5%ABV or so...is it as simple as cutting out some of the 2-row and maye scaling back the boil hops just a bit?

cwdrake said:
Just wondering how do you do first wort hopping with an extract brew?

If steeping the grains for 30 min or so, I would just steep the FWH in another bag during that time, the using them during the boil also. Paint strainer bags are cheap at home depot, and can be had in 1g or 5g sizes.

MoeFoties said:
Has anyone successfully come up with a lower ABV version of this amazing recipe? I'd love to get this down around 5%ABV or so...is it as simple as cutting out some of the 2-row and maye scaling back the boil hops just a bit?

I haven't tried to, but if you have beersmith you can have it scale it down with the scale function. If you only drop 2row and bittering hops it may end a bit maltier and sweeter. It would probably still end up good. If I was in the states and had access to beer smith I would help more. If no one else does by Friday I can run some #s for you.

At Sunday's club meeting there were 5 homebrew versions of zombie dust as well as the real thing on tap. We compared them all and several club members told me that this recipe was the best beer. This is my 2nd batch of this recipe and I absolutely love it.

What is the final AG recipe that has come out of this thread? I really want to make this beer, but I'd love it if someone would save me the trouble of searching through 43 pages.

What is the final AG recipe that has come out of this thread? I really want to make this beer, but I'd love it if someone would save me the trouble of searching through 43 pages.

I'm pretty sure various people have different takes on it since this recipe doesn't seem to originate from 3Floyds. The OP's recipe seems to be well-received and is updated on post 1 as he makes changes.

This is a great beer! I have had a lot of zombie dust and this pretty close.

I haven't tried to, but if you have beersmith you can have it scale it down with the scale function. If you only drop 2row and bittering hops it may end a bit maltier and sweeter. It would probably still end up good. If I was in the states and had access to beer smith I would help more. If no one else does by Friday I can run some #s for you.

Thanks skeezerpleezer...I appreciate it!

What is everyone's FG on this think I mashed a little to hot I could only get down to 1.018

I'll be dry hopping tomorrow:rockin:, so I'll post my fg. I used Bell's yeast, so it won't be an exact comparison. I also mashed a bit high( 156,157) but I wanted a little more maltiness to cut the heavy hops.

I am dry-hopping mine today. I am so excited to taste it. I will bottle next week, then a short wait to carbonation...

Brewing this tomorrow or the next day -

I have S04 and Wyeast 1968.

Any last thoughts? I would need to get a starter spinning soon if I go with 1968.

Cheers

Both will make great beers. I may prefer the 1968, if you have time to get the starter going. I would also mash a bit lower (152 or so) because the 1968 doesn't attenuate as well.

I tasted mine today when dry-hopping. Flat, warm, and unhopped, it may be the best thing I have brewed.

I tasted mine today when dry-hopping. Flat, warm, and unhopped, it may be the best thing I have brewed.

I have one batch, my first attempt at this recipe, to bottle tonight. Another that I racked and dry hopped to secondary yesterday and it smelled and tasted great.
I've got 6 brews under my belt and two of them are "Zombie" so I sure hope these finish out as good as they've tasted so far.

I'm brewing my first ZD IPA today. Was able to land some Citra from Midwest homebrew supplies in case others are looking for them.

Mashed at 153F....actually 153.3F.

Plan is to use WLP051 since I have that ready and it's been my go-to IPA yeast for a while.

The FWH make the entire house smell like citrusy goodness.

Back