Increasing pressure in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirstin4aburstin

Reaction score
I've done a little searching but haven't found anything like this yet...

I'm a newb to kegging. I bought a kegerator last weekend in San Diego and while I was down there I picked up a 1/6 keg of Stone's Pale Ale. I put the keg along with the CO2 tank in the kegerator overnight to let it cool down to about 38 F before tapping it. After hooking up all the hoses and tapping the keg, I set the regulator at 10 psi. Later on I checked it and the pressure had gone waaaay up to about 50 or so. I purged the keg, checked all my connections, and set the flow dial as low as it would go. About an hour later I checked it and the pressure went way up again.
When I first tapped the keg there was a lot of foam, but after some time and a few more pours the head went down to about 1/2".
Does anyone know what's going on here? My kegerator can hold up to 3 corny's but for the time being I have no homebrew kegged and figured for aesthetic reasons I'd leave the CO2 tank in the fridge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With mine, I turn it down to 5 and then turn it up to 12.

Congrats on the new kegerator!

It is possible that the keg is degassing a bit and boosting the pressure. I'd shut the CO2 off and tap a few pints, then turn the CO2 back on. A check valve in the line would prevent this from happening, but many regulators do not have one.

Came home from work yesterday and the pressure was almost up to 50 again. I decided to shut off the gas and purge the keg. Seems like the beer is now way over carbonated cause a put just comes out completely foamy. Unfortunately the place where I bought the kegerator/regulator isn't open on Sunday, so I'll give them a call tomorrow. In the meantime, thanks for all the advice.

Called customer service today and they said it sounds like a creeping regulator. They're going to send a replacement. Hopefully that fixes it

So I received the replacement regulator the other day after the place I bought it at found it defective. I hooked it up to my tank, turned the gas on, and poured a glass...still all foam! The keg had not been hooked up to any CO2 for a week, and everyday I would release the pressure in the keg that was left over. So how come my keg is still overcarbed? And how do I get it back to normal? Please help because I'm a new owner of a kegerator and instead of pride I'm feeling regret.

Back